photo bannerfans_11430117_zps8b63cb2d.gif

Author Topic: "They don't like it up 'em!"  (Read 8634 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Re: "They don't like it up 'em!"
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »
Well spotted that man!

As Carl rightly says, only the actor Ian Lavender / aka Frank Pike from the original "Dad's Army" cast survives. I believe he has a cameo role in the new movie.

"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »
Gone bonkers boys ?  ::)  ;)

KTB  >:(

No...not really Kohima. Just some oblique references to various comedy characters etc., which all of our British members will instantly recognize!   ;)

I assume you gents are referring to Ernie Wise OBE (little Ern).

K

K is showing his English roots !!! ;) :D
Yep, my English & Scottish roots go deep (no Welsh).  ;)

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »
I'd prefer they do "Danger UXB" in an updated version.  Loved that as a kid.

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 12:05:31 PM »
Great avatar Guppy!  :)
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline littlebuddy

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »

JS , isnt it just !!!  Matthew is looking 100% Red tail  :)
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 08:14:14 PM »

Thanks.  The key is to get em early and often around and thinking WW2 pilot.  I guess that fits with the thread as he's in "Dad's Air Force" :)

Matt is deaf so talking about things is a bit harder.  I knew I had him when I showed him the flying scenes in "Redtails".  He had on one of my flight helmets and he saw "Easy" in the cockpit of his Mustang in flight.  He walked towards the TV and signed that he and "Easy" were the same.  It was one of those very cool moments that happen with your kids.

Needless to say he's seen many a Mustang, a Corsair, P40, P-38 and a bunch of trainers in a few different places. 

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:14:53 PM by Guppy35 »

Offline Garandomatic

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 04:52:23 AM »
I had never heard of this series, and had to check it out yesterday- loved it!

I just saw the modern trailers for the movie... they don't look bad!  The fellow that plays Mainwaring, I think, nailed the part.  Bill Nighy will be great as well.  I don't think it'll be as bad as Sgt. Bilko...

Some interesting details, too... The Home Guard is armed with mostly P14 Enfields, or maybe those lend-lease M1917s I've heard about, which I think is pretty right, and in the scene with the women's Home Guard shooting, they seem to have a concoction of old Winchesters and the like!  Read not long ago that Americans sent some of their civilian guns to help England in the early days. 

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 05:15:32 AM »
To those of us who were "there" when the original series was screened and have been aficionados ever since (it's repeated frequently on the BBC to this day) the new movie which was released earlier this year came as a bit of a disappointment as is so often the case when old classics are revived. The original 1971 movie featuring the original cast was much better. That said, the new version will introduce a whole new generation to "Dad's Army", who will know no better, and will doubtless enjoy it accordingly, so from that point of view it's no bad thing.

Ian
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Garandomatic

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 05:18:32 AM »
Well, nuts, it's apparently already been released and is on DVD in the UK... Is it any good?

Wonder how long it'll be before it's on region 1?

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 05:25:13 AM »
Well, nuts, it's apparently already been released and is on DVD in the UK... Is it any good?

Wonder how long it'll be before it's on region 1?

Don't get me wrong...the new movie is fine....a generally faithful attempt at recreating the original series.  It's just that those of us who are fans of the original (like me!) find it hard to accept other actors in the familiar roles we know and love...just like when Steve Martin played Bilko! Funny though Steve Martin is, there was only one Ernie Bilko!!  I'm not sure when the N.American DVD will be available. Keep checking Amazon!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ccfc

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »
"Don't tell them your name Pike" was one of my favourite lines.

The new films OK and they've matched the new actors up well but as Ian suggested, you can't improve on perfection.
Slightly off subject but the new "Open all Hours" wasn't even 5% as good as the original. All filmed around Doncaster. The shop is actually a hairdressers.

Sorry Overseas members but nothing comes close to Brit comedy. Only Fools and Horses, Open all Hours, Blackadder, One Foot in the Grave and Dads Army will never be topped in my opinion.
Quite like Modern Family though!!
Lee

Offline Garandomatic

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »
I'd have to agree, even including many newer offerings... I loved spaced and the trio of movies Simon Pegg and the like made... IT crowd was cool, snuffbox... The young ones is a favorite as well...

I saw the one this morning where the German u-boat captain was taking their names... "Don't tell them your name, Pike!"

Offline Tug1970

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 07:32:14 AM »
Pike and the vicar from the original series both feature in the new film.  Watched it the other day but pretty disappointed to be honest.......some things best left alone.

Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 07:59:34 AM »
Pike and the vicar from the original series both feature in the new film.  Watched it the other day but pretty disappointed to be honest.......some things best left alone.

Absolutely, Tug!  Re-makes rarely capture the magic of the originals...especially when they are so entrenched in the public's psyche.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline littlebuddy

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »
I'd have to agree, even including many newer offerings... I loved spaced and the trio of movies Simon Pegg and the like made... IT crowd was cool, snuffbox... The young ones is a favorite as well...

I saw the one this morning where the German u-boat captain was taking their names... "Don't tell them your name, Pike!"

Ahh "The Young ones "!!! One of my favourite comedies .
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

BannerFans.com