BannerFans.com

Author Topic: "American Gun : A history of the US in ten firearms" by Chris Kyle  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
When I was on vacation I read the late Chris Kyle's "American Sniper" which I thoroughly enjoyed, having already seen the movie when it was released in 2014. This introduced me to his other book..."American Guns". I ordered it from Amazon using my iPad whilst I was still in Italy so it was awaiting me on my return! The ten guns in question include the Kentucky Long Rifle...1873 Winchester...M1 Rifle... .38 "Special" revolver and the M16. I just read the chapter about how American sharpshooters used their Long Rifles to pick off British officers during the Revolutionary War (ouch!)...a deliberate tactic! It's shaping up to be a very good read, hence this recommendation.  ( Chris Kyle was a Texan and so I'm sure our Texan members will definitely like the chapter about The Alamo and the subsequent Battle of San Jacinto!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Gun-History-U-S-Firearms/dp/0062242725/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1439310796&sr=1-1&keywords=american+gun
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
Re: "American Gun : A history of the US in ten firearms" by Chris Kyle
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »
ian, was the M14 rifle also included? i view this firearm as the best infantry rifle the US ever issued. i wouldn't give you a dollar for a boatload of M16's, especially if they were the first type.
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
No...I'm afraid not Ron! If you open the link and view the book you'll see the full list of the firearms which are included.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »
The Long Rifle was used to good effect by Morgans Rifleman during the American Revolution as well in the hands of the mountain men during the battle of Kings Mountain. Men armed with the Long Rifle needed to be backed up by men with muskets because the rifle could not be mounted with a bayonet and if the redcoats got in to the rifleman then they were toast.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
I've just reached the chapter about the American Mauser...ie the famous '03 Springfield. It's a good read...I recommend the book to anyone with an interest in American firearms and the country's history...the two are inexorably intertwined.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Garandomatic

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 06:21:18 AM »
I liked it a lot, and was happy to find out that I owned 7 of the 10 at the time, or as near as I could (semi rather than fully automatic).  I ditched my Auto-Ordnance repro Thompson (kinda wanted to throw it in a very very deep lake for the piece of junk mine was from the day it was new), recently got a Model 1873 Winchester, which is also on his list if memory serves!

BannerFans.com