BannerFans.com

Author Topic: D-Day invasion dog tag set  (Read 1438 times)

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
D-Day invasion dog tag set
« on: July 21, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »
Thought I'd share another favorite set of mine, a recent pickup within the last couple of months and a real neat set.

Virgil C. Bogenreif served as a light truck driver with the 3820th Quartermaster Gas Supply Company, which landed on Omaha Beach on June 6-7, 1944 and was initially in support of the 29th Infantry Division. Details found on the web from another 3820th veteran recall the carnage that was witnessed, the very many dead bodies they encountered, and the shelling they endured.

Graves registration recruited around 10 men from the 3820th to assist in burying the bodies of fallen American soldiers in the early days of the invasion.

Bogenreif survived Normandy and went on to serve in the Rhineland and Northern France campaigns. It must have been hellish, delivering these moving "bombs" to vehicles and tanks in need at the front. They also set up service stations on many roads of travel to refuel travelling US vehicles that were on the go. Enjoy gents..I really love these tags. Even better was that I was able to attain Bogenreif's discharge paperwork from Golden Arrow Research, confirming his campaign service.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:02:15 PM by bellasilva »
Phil

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Re: D-Day invasion dog tag set
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
Terrific!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER