BannerFans.com

Author Topic: It only took 7 years but....  (Read 9947 times)

Offline Nige1940

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Re: It only took 7 years but....
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 05:47:48 AM »
Congratulations Smitty , that's awesome ! 

Looking for any British/commonwealth and USAAF/USN aviation headgear 1939-45.
 Flight Helmets O2masks Goggles communications gear or spate parts .
PM Welcome .

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »
Wow, great news! Congrats, Smitty!!
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
Thank you again everyone..

Your well wishes are greatly appreciated..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline captainofthe7th

• RESEARCH LIAISON
  • Referrals: 1
      • The RCM Collection
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 08:16:58 AM »
Congratulations Smitty!  A well deserved position.  Have fun and enjoy yourself!

Rob
-- My Online Collection --

Interested in buying Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals, patches, ribbons and more.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 08:50:53 AM »
Congratulations Smitty!  A well deserved position.  Have fun and enjoy yourself!

Rob

Thanks Rob..

Looking forward to digging into boxes buried for years to see what's been hidden away

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 07:06:52 AM »
I just wanted to bring this back up to the top and give you guys a status report.

Since I came on board here at the museum, I have been actually the curator and not the historian, but they go hand in hand with each other. I started running with my priority list.

The unorganized mess which is now my office was overfilled with garbage and junk that has been removed. The reference library which was on the other side of the building is now in my office so I have instant hands on access to the books needed. The weapons in our collection are now all cataloged and I have personally redesigned and rebuilt 7 exhibits that range from SGT Alvin York, Audie Murphy, The Sergeant Major of the Army, World War Two Homefront, The Seminole Indian Wars, the 21st Century Soldier/Leader and equipment and the 1st Armored Division Exhibits.

We are a staff of only 3 folks, 2 GS and 1 Sergeant, so we have been multi tasking, conducting tours, doing maintenance on exhibits, photographing artifacts, constructing new exhibits and other daily duties of running a museum.

We are currently working on a Civil War Color Sergeant exhibit portraying the 69th Irish Brigade at Antietam. This we are hoping to be finished in the next few weeks.

It is a never ending process here and we are always updating or modifying exhibits. We are always surprising the folks who visit on a regular basis. They are always seeing new things and not the same old stuff per say. That is what keeps them coming back..

So.. Pictures will be forthcoming when I get a few minutes..

Stay tuned..

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline lewis505

• PLANKOWNER
  • "Aterrice y Ataque!"
      • 82d Airborne Division Museum - Fort Bragg, NC
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 08:19:17 AM »
Looking forward to it brother!
CHRIS LEWIS
Fort Benning, GA.
lewis2505@yahoo.com

*always looking for items related to:
82d ABN DIV (any era) // 505th PIR // 551st PIB
50th Infantry Regiment // 36th Infantry Regiment

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 07:11:56 PM »
I guess I should update this post once again...

In April of 2019 I applied for another position within the Center of Military History's AME (Army Museum Enterprise).. In June of 2019 I was hired as the Curator for the 1st Armored Division and Fort Bliss Museum. I thought long and hard about leaving the NCO Museum as it was a wonderful opportunity as a retired NCO to put the museum back on the map. I worked very hard the past 4 years bringing NCO History back to the forefront and I am sure I left an impact on the young NCOs as well as the older NCOs and others who walked through the museum as I gave countless tours and lectures.

I accepted the position at the 1st Armored Division because it was a promotion to GS-11 which was a substantial increase in responsibility as well as pay. I still have strong connections to the NCO Museum and I still have an active roll in the operation of that museum.

It was decided by the higher echelons within CMH that the NCO museum will be relocating to and consolidating within the 1st Armored Division and Ft Bliss Museum facility. This move is in the best interest of the NCO museum as the building it is in currently is wrought with structural issues as well as space. For about months from 2018 to 2019 the NCO museum was closed due to asbestos and mold issues. These issues helped in part for the leadership to decide it would be best to move into another much larger facility than to pay for the mold and asbestos abatement and removal.

The 1st Armored Division and Ft Bliss museum has been approved a for a multi million dollar rebuild and redesign which will include the NCO Museum within it's foot print. We have been working on the 3 storylines these past months and all 3 have been approved by CMH and we are now moving into the next phase of the process which is developing the exhibit plans. In this phase we gather potential artifacts and other support items that we will be exhibiting along with the dimensions of each item for the building architects in order for them to design the floor spacing and plans.. These plans will include Macro artifacts which for the most part are various Armored Vehicles that the 1st Armored Division has used since it was formed prior to WW2 to present day. We will have Stuart Tanks, Sherman Tanks, Bradley Fighting vehicles, M1 Abrams and many other tanks and vehicles within the floor plan and the Fort Bliss museum will have artifacts from the Spanish Conquistadors and early settlers to when Fort Bliss was established in the 1840s. There will also be exhibits for the Fort's Civil War contributions, it's Cavalry, Infantry and Air Defense Artillery influences on the region as well as other displays. The NCO Museum will also have it's own gallery area to tell the story of the NCO Corps from the American Revolution to Present day and many of the 1AD and Ft Bliss artifacts will compliment the NCO artifacts and vice versa..

In addition to the promotion I am now the curator of both 1AD and Ft Bliss Collections which number over 5,000 artifacts and when the NCO museum moves it artifacts over I will also have control of it's 2600+ artifacts.. 

I look forward to the challenges ahead and since we have been locked down due to the COVID-19 Pandemic I have had a lot of time to write the NCO storyline and gather some wonderful artifacts that will be on exhibit once the new museum is built.

Now this won't happen right away, there are stages that this will occur. It is estimated that the construction will start in about 3 more years but prior to a shovel being thrust into the dirt there are many other steps that need to be completed.. But we are on our way..

I will keep everyone updated as this progresses..

Best regards and Blessings

Stay Safe

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 11:42:05 PM »
That is amazing news Smitty! Or is it Mr. Smith now??? You have worked so hard and shown your mettle and skill on a small budget, I am certain that you will bring this new museum to life and showcase the amazing history of the 1st Armored. I was assigned to many 1st Armored units in 03-04 and in fact, we were actually held over a bit in redeploying as 1st Armored specifically requested us to stay in theater with them. My Great Uncle was 1st Armored in WWII, from North Africa to the end, so I am truly envious and of course will be eagerly awaiting the arrival of any extra armored vehicles in your collection ;D ;D ;D/
But in all seriousness, congratulations and best of luck on the re-opening!    Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 09:25:51 AM »
Scott,

Thank you for the kind words and we look forward to bringing the museums up to a higher standard..

Smitty..

PS.. It's still Smitty.. No need for Mr. Smith... I still act like a kid...especially around all the cool toys

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline lewis505

• PLANKOWNER
  • "Aterrice y Ataque!"
      • 82d Airborne Division Museum - Fort Bragg, NC
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 06:44:39 PM »
Well done brother & congrats!  Can't think of a better person to do this job & proud to call you my friend!

Hope to be at Bliss soon for a visit!

ATW!

Chris
CHRIS LEWIS
Fort Benning, GA.
lewis2505@yahoo.com

*always looking for items related to:
82d ABN DIV (any era) // 505th PIR // 551st PIB
50th Infantry Regiment // 36th Infantry Regiment

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
Chris,

Great to hear my brother.. Bring a U-Haul and some cash so you can clean out the shed....

Be safe Brother..

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 09:14:34 PM »
More good News !

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »
K,

Thanks..

I hope you are doing well in these trying times..

Stay safe in the bunker..

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

BannerFans.com