BannerFans.com

Author Topic: "Dunkirk!"....the movie.  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
"Dunkirk!"....the movie.
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:33:36 AM »
Coming soon. It has a very strong cast ( some perhaps not too familiar to American eyes?)  Looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BscssO8_K0g
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Tom E. Gunn

"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Tom E. Gunn

Re: "Dunkirk!"....the movie.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:40:23 AM »
Winnie's post-Dunkirk speech.  What a man!! I wish we had leaders of his calibre today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojtm7Pb1QLM
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »
As my tears are washing the pollen out of my eyes, I can't help to think about the timing of this film.  The world and our enemies needs to be reminded that common men will rise to achieve great things when called to do so.  It is time.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »
As my tears are washing the pollen out of my eyes, I can't help to think about the timing of this film.  The world and our enemies needs to be reminded that common men will rise to achieve great things when called to do so.  It is time.

Well said, my friend! 
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
Looking forward to this film very much.  I believe it's US release date is July 21st.  Wish it was closer to the 4th of July to help remind some of Americans what our longest and best allies went through before Tojo decided to poke the bear and the US entered the conflict.  Too many Americans believe WWII started on 12/7/41.  Although it was our defining moment, we don't always remember that Europe was embroiled in the war already for over two years.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
The BEF abandoned virtually all of its equipment...most returning men only had the clothes they stood up in. Thus, the British Army of 1940 was effectively disarmed and a toothless tiger until British industry was able made good the losses and why we purchased ready-made arms from the United States ( paid for up front by Britain's gold reserves, which were rapidly depleted)  Thus, we relied upon the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force to carry the fight to Germany whilst the army was expanded and re-equipped.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »
Ian.  Where did all the helmets come from and uniforms.  Are they available for sale like the BOB and Pacific gear was here.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 02:48:41 AM »
Ian.  Where did all the helmets come from and uniforms.  Are they available for sale like the BOB and Pacific gear was here.

I don't know the answer to that question Gary...but I will keep my ear to the ground and will post any info which might turn up. As you say...surplussed BoB and SPR gear was sold off in large quantities here as both were filmed on location in the UK...as was "Fury" too, but for some reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of ex "Fury" stuff out there.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:32 PM »
  Saw it this evening, it was quite incredible and the theme that stood out to me was quiet desperation and grim determination.... I highly recommend it in either IMAX or 70mm, it is worth the price. I should also mention that while it is truly a British story, it racked up 50.5 million this last weekend here in the States!   Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Desertrat

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 09:01:48 AM »
I saw it Saturday. It was very good, especially the aerial combat sequences. I am not too familiar with British uniforms and field gear, so I can't make any useful observations but it looked right to me.

US Army 1984-1991
TxARNG 1991-2004
VFW Post 4002- Chaplain and Adjutant

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
      • Dr. Davis
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
Saw the trailer, and the movie premiere here in the Fatherland starts this coming Thursday. I imagine like always the english version is the last showing.
 I'll just wait and buy me the DVD later and watch it the privacy of my own home, popcorn's cheaper too.  ;)
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Mickey Mantle

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 12:19:51 PM »
I've been chatting with Ian about my experience today.  I just returned and its is a Wow statement.  All of us are history junkies who honor and remember the courage of our family members and neighbors.  I've always been impressed with the small boat owners and fishermen who answered the call to help.  They weren't airmen, soldiers or sailors.  The were the uncles and the fathers of the men trapped on that beach and they knowingly answered the call to go into harms way to bring them home.  In my book it doesn't get much better then that.  I didn't see the movie to count threads on web gear or to see if the rank was correct, I wanted to see courage.  The quiet courage of the men lined up on the beaches taking fire with out being able to hit back to the men and women who sailed their boats across the channel to bring back the troops.

Go see it.

Offline Tug1970

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »
I remember a really lovely old guy, only a little fella, very softly spoken and a veteran of Dunkirk.  Although at the time I was fairly young I could still sense he was troubled by the past and what few stories he did tell were quite horrific.  Its not until you're slightly older you start to really appreciate the immense psychological pressure these men were under, in fact his wife told my mother he would often scream out during the night.........that was back in 1982 some 42 years after the battle.  The statistics are quite staggering, casualties, equipment's lost etc. but perhaps just as amazing is the rallying of the little ships manned by volunteers, naval officers and ratings, some owners and fishermen who helped rescue hundreds of thousands of men trapped at Dunkirk. 

Can't wait to see this film, hopefully it does them all justice.

Tug  ;)
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 09:41:48 PM »
I remember a really lovely old guy, only a little fella, very softly spoken and a veteran of Dunkirk.  Although at the time I was fairly young I could still sense he was troubled by the past and what few stories he did tell were quite horrific.  Its not until you're slightly older you start to really appreciate the immense psychological pressure these men were under, in fact his wife told my mother he would often scream out during the night.........that was back in 1982 some 42 years after the battle.  The statistics are quite staggering, casualties, equipment's lost etc. but perhaps just as amazing is the rallying of the little ships manned by volunteers, naval officers and ratings, some owners and fishermen who helped rescue hundreds of thousands of men trapped at Dunkirk. 

Can't wait to see this film, hopefully it does them all justice.

Tug  ;)

Tug it does them justice.  Listen to the Mans response when asked why he was headed to the beach!  It gave me shivers.

BannerFans.com