BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Pinewood Derby 2015....the Bullet Car!  (Read 3382 times)

Offline TRR

• FORUM MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 8
Pinewood Derby 2015....the Bullet Car!
« on: April 19, 2015, 03:28:03 PM »
Our Scout Pack's Pinewood Derby was today. My son and I built a HIGHLY engineered car ;) and he came in 2nd out of about 15 cars. I used lead bullets and sinkers my Grandfather poured in the 70s for the weight. Was an absolute blast and looking forward to next year! I told the Packmaster we need an adult class  8)

For those past/present involved in scouts, feel free to post about it here. There are rich ties between the military and scouts. For instance the military gives automatic enlisted rank for Eagle Scouts, if that tells you something.

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Pinewood Derby 2015....the Bullet Car!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
Very Nice.  I mounted 168gr HPBT match bullets as head lights on one of my sons car.  We never won a thing but they looked cool.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »
Good times Erik,,

I remember building my pinewood cars with my dad and then with my son..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »
   Lots of good times building the cars with my Father in Law and my two sons. My youngest won 1st place one year and then went on to the regionals where he did well, but no trophy. He still has all of his Pinewood Derby cars and trophies on his dresser and he will be 16 this year! Sadly, there are those parents who tend to go overboard and one year we had such a person. He insisted that every detail of every car be "inspected" like a NASCAR race at the end as he was looking for a disqualification to move his child up... He even showed up at the regionals with kids and cars in hand in case there was a disqualification there.
   My son was quite upset about that but he drove on and took his lumps when he eventually lost out to a faster car. I think I was more proud of the way he handled the loss than when he won. He saw how annoying the other parent was and was determined not to let that make him a poor sport. Some valuable life lessons can certainly be learned in the various scouting programs!
    Congrats to you and your son Erik! Scott.
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:31:34 AM »
I always looked forward to our derby when I was a child. The race was held in November during Thanksgiving break, and I would use the time to scavenge the neighborhood for sticks of wood to build my racer. I never was actually in the race, as my car was always used for the fire to keep the house warm. I never knew the the thrill of victory, only the tears of anguish as my racer when up in flames, as mom cooked dinner over the open stove, we all huddled around to keep warm.

No wonder I'm so screwed-up!

Congratulations to Jr. for a strong finish!!   NEXT YEAR!   >:(
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

BannerFans.com