BannerFans.com

Author Topic: The price of heroism?!  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
The price of heroism?!
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:07:21 AM »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
Re: The price of heroism?!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
What a tough situation to be placed into. A better question....."What Price To Stay Alive"?
My heart goes out to him!  :'(
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline captainofthe7th

• RESEARCH LIAISON
  • Referrals: 1
      • The RCM Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »
I hope he does well with his sale...hopefully some good soul with that sort of money will purchase the medals and maybe just give them back!  Or perhaps just make a new friend...they are his to do what he wants with, I just hope he doesn't miss them.

I think it's interesting that this seems to be more common in Britain than it is over here, and the medals always seem to sell for quite a bit more than they would in the US as well.  Is it something to do with pride?  British/Commonwealth medals tend to fetch more than US medals anyway, but does it have to do with how they are named/documented?  The quality?  Or is there more of a market or more of an appreciation?

Rob
-- My Online Collection --

Interested in buying Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals, patches, ribbons and more.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
I hope he does well with his sale...hopefully some good soul with that sort of money will purchase the medals and maybe just give them back!  Or perhaps just make a new friend...they are his to do what he wants with, I just hope he doesn't miss them.

I think it's interesting that this seems to be more common in Britain than it is over here, and the medals always seem to sell for quite a bit more than they would in the US as well.  Is it something to do with pride?  British/Commonwealth medals tend to fetch more than US medals anyway, but does it have to do with how they are named/documented?  The quality?  Or is there more of a market or more of an appreciation?

Rob

Probably all of the above.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »
Britain has always awarded Decorations quite sparingly. Most are scarce to rare. Awards for the 21st Century will always be rare due to the size of the Royal Navy and Army.

Would you be tempted to sell your medals if someone were to offer you around 180,000 US Dollars for them ?

KTB
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:04:57 AM by Kohima »
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

BannerFans.com