BannerFans.com

Author Topic: GRIPE OF THE WEEK !!!  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 1
GRIPE OF THE WEEK !!!
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:25:57 AM »
GRIPE OF THE WEEK !!!

A few days ago, I had my car worked on at the local shop. While waiting, I noticed every single customer sitting near me was locked (yes LOCKED !) onto their
mobile phone, stuck in their own little world. Even an old timer was flapping his gums on an ancient flip phone.

Believe it or not, years ago, people actually talked to one another.   :'(    I assume people no longer have or care to have people skills.   ::)

WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???????????????  :-\   How bad can it get ?   ???

Bad A$$ Kohima   >:(

On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: GRIPE OF THE WEEK !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
Tell me about it! I was in Starbucks a few days ago and virtually everyone...except me.... was either on an iPhone, tablet or laptop! This has sadly become the norm. Even joggers can't jog unless they've got $500 worth of technology strapped on!  :o
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
      • Dr. Davis
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
Was at the Doctor's last week, and in the waiting room, all with iPhones. And it's illegal here in Germany to drive while using the iPhone-cell phone, but just about every other car the driver has one stuck to his or her ear.
Guess I'm just too old...... :(
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Mickey Mantle

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »
Look familiar!  ::)
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »
  At family gatherings my niece and nephew will spend the entire time texting each other in the same room! Can't wait for tomorrow >:(  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline littlebuddy

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »
We have created this monster !!   the art of conversation is now a nearly extinct idea , when was the last time anyone of us  actually sat down and put pen to paper ?  Ever tried to explain to your kids that it took a minimum of a month to receive a reply from overseas ?   Ohhh  the good ol'days !!! ;)

LB
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
Not a gripe just an astute observation.  Civility is also gone.

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 05:53:41 PM »
and so often we hear the term used to describe this behavior as "being connected". i rather doubt any of them have made any serious connections on a personal level in quite some time. using the phone while driving is also illegal here, but we see it every day, even in my tiny little town in washington.
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline captainofthe7th

• RESEARCH LIAISON
      • The RCM Collection
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
Oh, I love all the people sucked into their phones.  I'm guilty of doing it at times...but then I realize what's happening and put it away.  Being connected is cool, but it's not a leash.  It's mostly a generational issue with us millennials.  Ugh!  Interestingly enough, I see it happening with a lot of middle aged women, but not men.  Not sure why that is.

Anyway, my boss called me antithetical to my generation the other day, so I'll take that as a sign that I'm going alright.

Rob
-- My Online Collection --

Interested in buying Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals, patches, ribbons and more.

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »
We should be happy that people are so absorbed in the world of technology. According to self defense experts, people who are distracted with cell phones, and the like, are much more desirable targets for attack then people who have their head up, and paying attention.
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 03:37:04 AM »
We should be happy that people are so absorbed in the world of technology. According to self defense experts, people who are distracted with cell phones, and the like, are much more desirable targets for attack then people who have their head up, and paying attention.
you just reminded me of an old joke in the MP's---"try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo".
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
If you hug your electronics TOO much, you turn into a Zombie.   :-\

KTB
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline ccfc

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
Was at the Doctor's last week, and in the waiting room, all with iPhones. And it's illegal here in Germany to drive while using the iPhone-cell phone, but just about every other car the driver has one stuck to his or her ear.
Guess I'm just too old...... :(

I also visited the Doctor a couple of weeks ago and he googled my symptoms in front of me before giving me antibiotics.

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
      • Dr. Davis
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:48 PM »
Couple weeks ago at my brother-in-laws for dinner, his wife used her iPhone to send my niece a message upstairs it's time to eat. ::)
I can remember my Ma yelling at me downstairs in my room/dungeon "it's time to eat, now"! lol!
I don't know if I'm any better, I catch myself in this Forum at least once a day.....
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Mickey Mantle

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 04:00:21 AM »
Even royal princesses are not immune from modern technology. Here's Princess Beatrice on her iPhone at HM Queen Elizabeth's recent 90th birthday event at Winsdor Castle. A breach of royal protocol?! "Awf with her head!"   ;D

"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com