BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Para helmet with camo cover  (Read 2654 times)

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 1
Para helmet with camo cover
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »
Purchased this from a friend.He stated it was used in Rhodesia.

The cover is cut to the form of the helmet.Screws were removed when the cover was mounted.

Im thinking a Belgian camo and could have been used in the border/brush wars.

Just curious to what vintage the helmet is.No markings on the sweatband to maker or year

Whats your thoughts

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Para helmet with camo cover
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
more pics
Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
Another great helmet.  The pattern looks Rodesian.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »
Just for reference, here's a Belgian para helmet.

http://casquescollection.skyrock.com/77.html
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Beau Brummel.

• AMF SCHOLAR
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
Hey Ron,

that's a beautiful helmet  :-*  Does look to be a Belgie one and with Belgian field made camo cover but that's no reason to rule out the Rhodesian connection; and If that's what your provenance says and you trust It then all good.   

Chris Boonzaier over on WAF would be the man to show, I'm sure he could tell you lot's about It.

Best Regards, Guy.
Terra Terra this Is six, we are Inbound your pos at this time, I say again we are Inbound your pos at this time.  My schackle, lima, lima Zulu .........

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 10:10:17 PM »
  There is a cover picture on a 1979 issue of Soldier of Fortune magazine with a staff member wearing a similar helmet and cover with net in Rhodesia. We have a copy at the museum, but not sure where its packed away.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Mark K

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:06:59 PM »
IMO the camo cover is indeed Belgium( Brushstroke second pattern ) in origin and it was first Introduced in 1954 and continued in production until circa 1975.
In general the pattern consists of thick dark green & russet brown brushstrokes on a khaki background, although at least two or three variations have been documented in terms of color usage (some using significantly brighter hues) printed on both a heavyweight canvas and a medium weight cotton fabric.
This pattern was issued exclusively to the Belgian airborne, commando & marine units, it is believed the design was primarily intended for use outside of Europe, in particular the Belgium's African colonies and although production discontinued in the 1970s, existing stocks continued to be issued well into the early 1990s.
As to the helmet body it self I would hazard an educated guess from the photos provided that it is indeed a Mk II HSAT  I would also say there is a very good possibility that it is as well Belgium in origin or at the very least of post war design the devil are in the details the unmarked leather in the liner,the yellow sorbo rubber, the khaki green hearing bone twill suspension,the tie cord and the colour of the paint does strongly suggest Belgium was the country of production .
As to the chin-cup and harness the construction and material suggests that it could be British war time and or early postwar produced as there were surplus numbers being sold in the marketplace to Britons allies but tenative photos would tell the tale as it may be very early Belgium to...

Regards Mark     

BannerFans.com