BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Staying away from Ebay  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 2
Staying away from Ebay
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
Guys,
I have been staying away from Ebay because I don't want to spend money. That's my excuse, but some of you must have run into fun auctions to watch, or comment on. Com'on.....share.
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Staying away from Ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:00:47 AM »
I'm on ebay every night, but I have a very low limit to spend usually below $50.  I watched a M1 Helmet I bid $40 on go to almost $900 recently.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:05:40 AM »
Pat's your man ( Dr Davis) He has the knack of finding really bizarre and often risque "military" items for sale!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline littlebuddy

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:28:42 AM »
Im currently watching some WASP stationery (again)    i thought i stood a good chance last time around ,  but i was well out gunned !!!   one piece of letterhead fetched $127 !!! 

So im not holding out much hope this time !!! >:(

But im on Ebay everyday  checking my saved searches etc !!   

What i am noticing though , is the prices for USAAF items  starting to gently rise while the condition of items  are slowly getting worse , and there isnt as much for sale as there was ,say , a year or so ago . Now i dont know if this has anything to do with the  "new series"  that is being planned ,  but i have a gut feeling   there is a lot of this stuff starting to be  hoarded .

What say you chaps ??

LB
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:11:40 AM »
I was told of a couple of great medal auctions the other day, but is never even looked. I don't know if I bought them or not, but I still don't pay attention to much that is happening.

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
i put an item on ebay, had 33 watchers and zero bids. still had to pay the fees, though. cured me. not again.
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline gldank

• PLANKOWNER
  • I Am Old But I Was In The Navy When It Was Cool!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »
I search my saved searches everyday. Had a guy recently post on Ebay a 1943 American Legion National Convention Medal (fairly rare because they are made from composite materal due to a bronze shortage during WWII) for $110. It did not sale so I sent him an email asking if he would come down on the price. He said "Are you kidding?! Do you know how rare this medal is?!!" I said "ok, sorry I asked." He then sent me a long email educating me on American Legion Medals. The next day, another sample of this same medal came up with another seller along with 5 other medals and "buy it now" for $10. Of course I hit the buy button fast. A little while later, the original seller of the expensive medal emailed me to let me know that I missed a great deal. I replied that I was the one who won the "great deal" auction but thank you. He emailled me back and said "A$$hole." Can we say karma?  8)
James

I am looking for anything related to General Malin Craig, US Army (1875-1945)

Offline hardflip

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 03:03:08 PM »
Can we say karma?  8)

Hahaha, that was classic! Good job.

It is getting easier and "safer" to buy from eBay but if you try to sell something (and fail for example) the different kind of fees will hit you fairly good every single time. And being small time seller on eBay makes you wait for the monies quite long.
Never give up.

ASMIC #5393

Offline gldank

• PLANKOWNER
  • I Am Old But I Was In The Navy When It Was Cool!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
I know what you mean. I use to sell a lot on Ebay before the Paypal requirement. I remember the time I picked up a couple banged-up Navy F-18 Fighter Helmets at a garage sale in Officer's Housing on the base near me for $5 a piece. I figured I would get a couple hundred dollars for each. There was a purana bidding war and I ended up selling them for $5000 each!! My wife and I took a much needed vacation in Belgium by military MAC flight. If I sell now, I usually sell on one of the Forums sites.
James

I am looking for anything related to General Malin Craig, US Army (1875-1945)

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
James......you have the eBay "Knack", you don't want to stay away!! :)

All I do is spend money, (good and sometimes bad) and I want to stay away from that temptation. But I do miss the thrill! ::)

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
I did well buying and selling for the first number of years. I quit totally when the went PP only.

Now, it's direct purchase only. No auctions of any type for me. I am especially not fond of auction buyer premiums.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline TRR

• FORUM MANAGER
  • Referrals: 8
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:48 AM »
I am an obvious fan of ebay for buying/selling. Even PP has been good to me despite the fees. I will agree, the 18% buyer premium on other auctions is a bit obsurd for doing very little. 

Offline F-102

• PLANKOWNER
      • the Strategic Air Command
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »
I try to stick to the "buy it now" option as I really can't afford the bidding process. . .at least for USAF patches, were almost everyone waits until the last minute. As for selling, absolutely NO more. I listed a rare 4683rd Air Defense Wing that went for $16!!!! Way below what it is worth. And I am fine with people wanting a bargain, but I am not going to donate any more money to ebay or PP.
Still with all that being said, I applaud ebay for giving me access to some really rare stuff. There are so few patch websites now, it's great to see the obscure & unusual patches.
Collecting USAF Air Defense unit patches

BannerFans.com