BannerFans.com

Author Topic: New display at our museum  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
New display at our museum
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:16:43 AM »
Some of you will be aware that I, along with a group of fellow volunteers, maintain a small military museum devoted to the military history of the coastal town of Barry, South Wales...actually Wales' largest town. In the 20th century, Barry was a major port and pre D-Day American troops were based in and around the town. These were mainly QM and Transportation Corps troops who were responsible for unloading ships direct from the United States and also loading ships with men and supplies headed for Normandy. Units of the 2nd Infantry Division ( 9th Regiment "Manchus") were also stationed nearby, with their HQ in St Donat's Castle (owned at the time by American newspaper magnate, William Randolph Hirst..."Citizen Kane"!)

So...to reflect this, today I re-stocked one of our display cases with a range of personal items as might have been carried by a typical GI based in Barry...toiletries, underwear, eatin' irons, K-rations, reading material, insignia, patches, dog-tags and headgear etc., all original WW2 items from my own collection. I also "dressed" a mannequin with a 2nd ID / 9th Regt EM's service coat. The pics are just snapshots taken with my phone-cam but they give some idea of how it all looks!

Ian
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ccfc

• Referrals: 1
Re: New display at our museum
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »

Nice display.

Will try and call in when the season starts again and I come down to watch Cardiff City (glutton for punishment)

My Nan used to live next door to the old Cardiff Arms Park and told me that her and her brother watched Stuka's bombing Cardiff docks. With Cardiff and Barry being so close, I guess there was plenty of targets in Cardiff docks also.

I didn't think Stuka's had the range to get to Cardiff, but she insisted they were Stuka's and described the terrifying screaming sound as they dived. Not wanting to doubt her, I accepted it.

Lee

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:44:20 PM »
  Great display Ian! very generous of you to use your personal collection so that others may learn.   Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:58:28 PM »
  Great display Ian! very generous of you to use your personal collection so that others may learn.   Scott

Thank you Scott!  ;)
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com