BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Kriegsmarine Soldbuch in today  (Read 268 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Kriegsmarine Soldbuch in today
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »
   The Daughter of Walter Stempek of the 94th Division in WWII brought over this neat Kriegsmarine Soldbuch. Walters items are in the named groupings section and she is still gathering more from her siblings to bring out! Looks like this belonged to Heinz Frishke of East Prussia. In Jan 43 he was promoted to Lance Corporal in the 807 Anti Aircraft? Is this correct for Navy? Nowhere is Coast Artillery (Kustenartillerie) mentioned, so I am curious about the many "army" type references throughout the book.   Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Kriegsmarine Soldbuch in today
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »
Cool item.

Online Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 08:07:14 AM »
Scott,

If you scan the entire Soldbuch, when I have some time I can try to translate the entries for you..

It looks very interesting.

I have been busy translating several Soldbuchs and Arbietsbuchs lately..

I just picked one up for a worker who was a test pilot that worked on the jet engines..

So, if you have time, send me the scans and I will see what I can do

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
Scott,

If you scan the entire Soldbuch, when I have some time I can try to translate the entries for you..

It looks very interesting.

I have been busy translating several Soldbuchs and Arbietsbuchs lately..

I just picked one up for a worker who was a test pilot that worked on the jet engines..

So, if you have time, send me the scans and I will see what I can do

Smitty

We have a complete translation already Smitty, I was just questioning the rank in regards to it being KM? He is listed as a Gefreiter then obergrfrieter etc... Is this correct for KM? Also of note is the designation of an anti aircraft unit, but no mention of coast artillery. I can get the scans and send them over if you want to look, and thanks for the offer!  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Online Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 08:10:46 AM »
Scott,

I was looking through some of my Soldbuch reference books and I found that a common abbreviation in Kriegsmarine Soldbuchs was Matrosen-Gefreiter, and Matrosen-Obergefrieter. In your Soldbuch the entry before the word Gefreiter M.A. confirms this entry. Kriegsmarine rank for a seaman basic was Matrose, much like Soldat, or Flieger for Army and Air Force. These were the lowest ranks..

One possibility of the reference to Army Flak units is that the Sailor was transferred to an Army unit. Not at all uncommon, after the invasion, Coastal guns and units were put into service anywhere they could be of service and in many instances Kriegsmarine Coastal artillery units without their coastal guns were then moved to Army units to man Flak guns.

I will have to do some more research, but this is one of the most logical explanations.

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »
Scott,

I was looking through some of my Soldbuch reference books and I found that a common abbreviation in Kriegsmarine Soldbuchs was Matrosen-Gefreiter, and Matrosen-Obergefrieter. In your Soldbuch the entry before the word Gefreiter M.A. confirms this entry. Kriegsmarine rank for a seaman basic was Matrose, much like Soldat, or Flieger for Army and Air Force. These were the lowest ranks..

One possibility of the reference to Army Flak units is that the Sailor was transferred to an Army unit. Not at all uncommon, after the invasion, Coastal guns and units were put into service anywhere they could be of service and in many instances Kriegsmarine Coastal artillery units without their coastal guns were then moved to Army units to man Flak guns.

I will have to do some more research, but this is one of the most logical explanations.

Smitty

That certainly is what I was looking for. Let me know if there are any pages you would like to see and thanks Smitty!  Scott

Online Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 03:53:27 PM »
Scott,

Are there any references to the Sailor receiving any awards or decorations and what are some of the Flak units assigned to..

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

BannerFans.com