BannerFans.com

Author Topic: us army Chaplain, Medal of Honor recipient, passed away last friday  (Read 1000 times)

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
this seemed to be the right place for this, so here goes. Catholic Chaplain and U S Army Captain Charles Liteky, ordained as Father Angelo, served in vietnam with the 199th light infantry brigade, and received the Medal of Honor for actions in the field. he personally carried over 20 wounded soldiers to the dustoff point, while sustaining several wounds himself. he gave away his flak jacket and steel pot to other soldiers. he walked upright under fire, inspiring the combat soldiers around him, and refused medevac space until others were taken care of. his courage was beyond belief, and he was spoken of long after his tour ended. i learned of his actions after i arrived in country, in nov 69. i learned just this morning that cpt liteky passed away in the VA hospital in san francisco, friday, jan 20th. he later became the only recipient to ever return the Medal, and left the priesthood, later becoming an anti war protestor. these actions do not, at least to me, diminish the courage he displayed or the lives he saved that day in the nam, so many years ago. RIP, Father Angelo. you are not forgotten by the soldiers of your former brigade.  God speed.
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
Re: us army Chaplain, Medal of Honor recipient, passed away last friday
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »
Rest in peace.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
Re: us army Chaplain, Medal of Honor recipient, passed away last friday
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:30:39 AM »
Father Angelo...

Rest in Peace

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

BannerFans.com