BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Thoughts please  (Read 1654 times)

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
Thoughts please
« on: July 09, 2016, 02:48:17 AM »
Early this year i picked this patch up along with a few others early this year . They were described as "patch king" made pieces . The one i had particular interest in is this one

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:21:01 AM »
Carl...a number of years ago I bought a "WW2" squadron patch ( I still have it somewhere)  It was unused. Heavily embroidered on a wool / felt background. It had all the attributes of an original and I was very happy with it. Several years later I joined the USMF and at some point I posted said patch. Most of the comments were very positive....but...I received a PM from a respected member telling me privately that he was pretty sure it was a repro, hand-made in limited numbers back in the 80s by a guy from the mid-west. He said he sold them as repros at collectors' fairs. I took him at his word as he has a good reputation as an expert in such matters. My point is that the patch looked very like yours in terms of its construction. Obviously, I can't state categorically that yours came from the same stable, but you are right to proceed with caution!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Air Ministry

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:21:57 AM »
A dealer I used to know sold patches like this, the stitching looks very similar to your one. I bought one which I liked and I will post a picture so we can compare them.
I don`t care to belong to the sort of club that accepts people like me as members.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 03:28:25 AM »
Of course...there's also the "P" factor Carl.....if you catch my drift?  ;)  Both Eastman and Andrew Butler deal in similar patches imported from the sub-continent...heavily embroidered on a wool background. The water has been well and truly muddied. That said, your patch would look great sewn on an A2!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 03:32:33 AM »
Thanks for the input guys , the stitching does look very suspect i know , it was the background colour that struck me as being odd , as all the other 487th  patches i have seen are a bright blue colour , also  they are all fully embroidered and not a sort of "multi" piece construction as this one is

I have patches here at home that show the same style of stitching on the back ,i am not holding out that it is original as the seller is a well known dealer . It was bought as a "repro" . Just  thought id let you guys have a shuffty at it to hear your thoughts

LB
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 03:34:15 AM »
Of course...there's also the "P" factor Carl.....if you catch my drift?  ;)  Both Eastman and Andrew Butler deal in similar patches imported from the sub-continent...heavily embroidered on a wool background. The water has been well and truly muddied. That said, your patch would look great sewn on an A2!

Quite possibly so Ian , and it hadnt escaped my thoughts at all , as i have a couple of "P" made examples all ready !

BannerFans.com