BannerFans.com

Author Topic: WW2 RAAF Aircrew Brevets  (Read 2502 times)

Offline David

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
WW2 RAAF Aircrew Brevets
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:33:49 PM »
During WW2 the tradition of wearing Pilot and Observer brevets by Commonwealth air forces, including RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) aircrew, to denote qualified personnel in these two air crew trades was continued from WW1 but with the addition of several new air crew brevets.

As larger and more complex aircraft entered service in the 'modern' WW2 Australian air force, the newly developed air crew roles and trades resulted in the creation of new air crew brevets.

The following brevets were worn by RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) air crew during and in some instances after, WW2.

Pilot's 'Wings'
E - Engineer (aka Flight Engineer)
O - Observer
N - Navigator (The Observer's brevet was replaced by the Navigator's brevet in 1942 but the wear of the Observer's brevet was never completely phased out).
AG - Air Gunner (Replaced the brass 'winged bullet' sleeve badge in 1939 but the winged bullet badge was still worn for some time later)
WAG - Wireless/Air Gunner
B - Bomb Aimer (aka Air Bomber)
S - Signaler (Air Signaler)
W/T - Wireless Transceiver (Briefly worn by Australian air crew operating in aircraft in non-operational areas).

This is not a complete 'set' of all WW2 RAAF brevets worn or their variances but I will attempt to add to this thread as I add further brevets to my own collection and of course, everyone else is welcome and encouraged to add any also.

Pilot’s brevet  – Obverse

Pilot’s brevet – Reverse

Pilot’s brevet

Observer’s brevet 1940-1952 pattern – Obverse

Observer’s brevet 1940-1952 pattern – Reverse

Navigator’s brevet 1944 pattern (eventually replaced the Observer brevet).
This brevet was worn by F/O Neville Llewelyn Eldredge 429803, 464 Squadron.

Air Gunner 'Winged Bullet' badge - Obverse

Air Gunner 'Winged Bullet' badge - Reverse

Worn by members of the RAAF from 1930. Originally the badge was gold in colour(brass) but at the onset of WW2, like all RAAF badges, was replaced with the oxidised or darkened version.
The Winged Bullet badge was officially to be replaced in the RAAF from 1940 but was still in use until at least 1942.

There is always a great deal of discussion regarding the design of these badges and the number of lugs that should be present to the rear of the badge. Many believe that examples with two lugs are incorrect and examples with three lugs are correct. I think both versions existed and determining the originality of any one badge must be gauged by the quality of manufacture, provenance and patina present.
I think this one is okay?

Air Gunner -  Obverse

Air Gunner - Reverse

Bomb Aimer 1944-1960 pattern (aka Air Bomber) – Obverse

Bomb Aimer 1944-1960 pattern (aka Air Bomber) – Reverse

Signaller 1944- 1949 pattern (aka Air Signaller) – Obverse

Signaller 1944-1949 pattern (aka Air Signaller) – Reverse

Best regards,
David
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
Re: WW2 RAAF Aircrew Brevets
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:02:28 PM »
Nice collection, thanks !

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:46:05 PM »
My favourite has to be the Aerial Gunners' badge!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Air Ministry

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 03:08:40 AM »
Nice display David.

A chap whose widow we knew didn't qualify as a navigator until very late in the war and we have pictures of him wearing an O wing, I think it was personal choice up to a point and some people liked the kudos of the older O wing. The chap I'm referring to was sadly killed in December 44 while with Coastal Command.
I don`t care to belong to the sort of club that accepts people like me as members.

Offline nimsiemilitaria

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 05:22:14 AM »
There is a great account by C G Jefford in his book 'Observers and Navigators' on the complexity of the wearing of the Observer brevet.
Here are my UK made RAAF brevets

Offline Air Ministry

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 05:25:22 AM »
I'll have to have a look at that, I have that book.
I don`t care to belong to the sort of club that accepts people like me as members.

Offline nimsiemilitaria

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 06:03:17 AM »
New revised and extended edition pages 222-223

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 06:47:09 PM »
Thank you for your replies gentlemen ;)
I think you're spot on with the Observer brevet kudos AM and I will certainly have to have a look at 'Observers and Navigators' book Nimsie.
Not a book I had heard of before.
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

BannerFans.com