BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Polish Paratrooper , Arnhem Vet  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Andyb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Polish Paratrooper , Arnhem Vet
« on: May 27, 2016, 07:55:11 AM »
Here is my good friend KAROL ( Karl ) NICZYPEROWICZ who is 93 years old . Karl left Poland as a young lad at the outbreak of ww2 and went to Russia . From Russia he went to the Middle East to fight the Germans and in 1942 was asked if he would volunteer for the polish parachute brigade which was being formed , in which he accepted with his best friend and set sail to England via New York with hundreds of german prisoners of war aboard a troop ship .

He did his basic training at Ringways in Manchester then moved to Scotland to be trained by polish instructors , whilst in Scotland he trained along side Norweigen paratroopers who later became famous themselfs as portrayed in the film The Heroes of Telemark .

In 1944 he was on the second drop into Arnhem due to fog and many of his fellow comrades where slaughtered . His best friend who he had gone through the Middle East and training was killed by his side . He also knew and was good friends with the soldier that swam the Rhine to pass messages due to the radios been down . The stories are endless and sometimes very emotional . My friend Phil had the pleasure in meeting him and this made us both laugh

Phil , " what was it like at Arnhem"
Karl " it wasn't that bad "
Phil. " it wasn't that bad fighting two german SS Panzer divisions "
Karl. " okay it was a little bit bad "

This is him awith one of my old denisons on which he remembers well

Yes tug it's a full zipper lol

And wearing his beret with pride

Karl has a great set of medals and his original picture plus his original polish eagle and pin which he wore at Arnhem , I asked Karl if I could get his medals framed for him along side his other pieces so he could look at them and be proud as they where just stuck in a drawer , this was the least I could do and the result was worth it

Here are a few of his medals before they where framed

And here are the medals all framed , I am sorry about the quality and when I gave them back to Karl , his first words where , HOW CAN I WEAR THEM . To this I replied you have your miniatures to wear

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Polish Paratrooper , Arnhem Vet
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:01:16 AM »
A real life hero....but obviously a modest one! What a great "Boys' Own" type of story...and kudos to you for getting his medals professionally mounted like that.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Tug1970

• Referrals: 0
Re: Polish Paratrooper , Arnhem Vet
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »
Great thread Andy, that was a very nice gesture.  Its important to take an interest and show respect, these old guys are so matter of fact about it all and modest beyond belief but underneath they are hugely proud of what they did and certainly appreciate the acknowledgement!  The men of Arnhem fought a hard, vicious battle against overwhelming odds and won the respect of their enemy who also fought one of their hardest battles, the aftermath was equally as vicious and brutal especially for the Dutch civilians.

Tug  ;)

Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

BannerFans.com