BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Museum Chat  (Read 12673 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Museum Chat
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
  So, as many of you know, I am working with a group to get a new Michigan focused military museum off the ground. The organization that is sponsoring this endeavor is nearly 50 years old and very solid. With that said, they are the local historical society, so space is quite limited in the existing museum as it is an 1871 house. I thought I would post some pics of items we have received and cataloged as we progress. What you see here, began in earnest in late 2014.
  As many of us are involved in museums, I thought this topic might be a great place to share ideas, new acquisitions, storage tips, etc... I will try to keep my part updated as we progress towards a new facility and the combining of our military collection and interurban railroad collection. We hope that both will complement each other and that we can share how the local interurbans moved thousands of troops from Camp Custer in Battle Creek Mi. to Detroit for connecting trains to the east and west coasts. Our town had two competing interurban lines and the Michigan Central RR. So, a lot of military and rail history! Scott

Here are some of the items currently housed in my basement. Each of the white boxes is a grouping or holds misc. field gear from the Civil War, through WWII.   
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

Re: Museum Chat
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »
  Some headgear and some of the display mannequins from the large 84th Div collection I have posted here. Also Army, Marine and Navy WWI Torso's.   Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:34:29 AM »
Scott,

Looks great.. A lot of nice artifacts..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
      • Dr. Davis
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:16:44 AM »
  Some headgear and some of the display mannequins from the large 84th Div collection I have posted here. Also Army, Marine and Navy WWI Torso's.   Scott

Scott, this is what I want my room to look like! Lookin' good!
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Mickey Mantle

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »
I know just how difficult and time consuming it can be to catalog everything in a museum because the stock of exhibits is forever changing as new items are acquired. We have a formatted page of our own devising which we use to document casual donations. By that, I mean stuff that just walks in off the street. Apart from a description of the item, we note the name of the donor, the date and any provenance related to said item and finally, photograph it. This is then filed away for future reference. One of our members is currently engaged in doing a full inventory of our exhibits. Kind of tedious...but it has to be done!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 01:41:28 PM »
I know just how difficult and time consuming it can be to catalog everything in a museum because the stock of exhibits is forever changing as new items are acquired. We have a formatted page of our own devising which we use to document casual donations. By that, I mean stuff that just walks in off the street. Apart from a description of the item, we note the name of the donor, the date and any provenance related to said item and finally, photograph it. This is then filed away for future reference. One of our members is currently engaged in doing a full inventory of our exhibits. Kind of tedious...but it has to be done!

Exactly what I am doing right now in the NCO museum. And we have about 4000 artifacts...My goal is to have the inventory, photos and other admin items done by July this year..

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline Skyline Drive

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 09:58:43 AM »
That's a great collection! I'm looking forward to more posts about this museum!

Offline ScottG

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »

Ian, we have a very detailed program called "Past Perfect Museum Software". It is tedious at times, but is the museum standard for cataloging a collection. Its also pricey at about $1300.00 to get started, plus yearly renewal fee's. It allows for pictures to accompany the artifact description, it includes provenance, donor info, appraisal value, and much more. So, not my favorite chore to do for the museum, but certainly necessary. Scott

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 12:59:15 AM »
Thanks for that info Scott. We're a small museum with a shoestring budget run by volunteers and we raise our own funds. That software program might well be ideally suited to our needs but, alas, is beyond our present means as we have other priority expenditures!  :(
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
    I thought I would resurrect this as last Thursday my group signed a 5 year lease on a brand new building for our museum. This building is still under construction, so we were able to add some specifics under the terms of the lease. It will give us about 3500 sq feet of floor space divided into 5 rooms and a large 40 x 40 gallery. There will be an additional 1000 sq feet of storage located in an upper room. We are quite excited to move in and get to work! Our tentative occupancy date is September 1st with a grand opening on Veterans Day. I will add pictures soon.  Scott.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
Congrats to you and your team Scott...I envy you that!  ;)  Our little military museum is now at saturation point...we've filled our available display space really well, but would love to be able to expand. Good luck with your forthcoming move.

Ian
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 11:35:11 PM »
Congrats to you and your team Scott...I envy you that!  ;)  Our little military museum is now at saturation point...we've filled our available display space really well, but would love to be able to expand. Good luck with your forthcoming move.

Ian

Thanks Ian, nothing to envy as I fear that we will fill our space quickly and be forced to move at the end of the lease. Then there is the rent! Like you, we are all volunteers and must rely on fundraisers and donations. So, its exciting and scary at the same time.  Scott

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
Congrats Scott..

These lease things usually end up working themselves out.. I wouldn't worry just yet.. I would be putting the bug in the ear around year 3 though...

Glad to see that you will have a large space to display items..

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline Ghost

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
Hi Gents,
It has been quite a while since I have posted last, well over a year(s) mainly because I have taken a break from collecting but I do read the forum on a somewhat regular basis.
So, I have gotten involved with a local group that is working on getting a museum dedicated to veterans off the ground. As some others here stated we are also working on a shoestring budget, with that said I was wondering what you do in your respective museums to label your displays be it a single item or an entire mannequin. The more enjoyable museum experiences for myself have been in establishments with well labeled artifacts.
I would really like to see how the "pros" handle this as well as the guys like myself on a tight budget.

Thanks in advance for any help you can afford,
Chuck 

Offline ScottG

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 09:01:15 PM »
Hi Gents,
It has been quite a while since I have posted last, well over a year(s) mainly because I have taken a break from collecting but I do read the forum on a somewhat regular basis.
So, I have gotten involved with a local group that is working on getting a museum dedicated to veterans off the ground. As some others here stated we are also working on a shoestring budget, with that said I was wondering what you do in your respective museums to label your displays be it a single item or an entire mannequin. The more enjoyable museum experiences for myself have been in establishments with well labeled artifacts.
I would really like to see how the "pros" handle this as well as the guys like myself on a tight budget.

Thanks in advance for any help you can afford,
Chuck

Chuck, welcome back and congrats on the museum start up! Our new building will be a work in progress for the next several months but we will certainly adopt a standard for our signage soon. Up till now, we have merely printed signs using Microsoft Word and then attached them to foam core material. I like to add a period graphic or picture at the top center, but as I said, with the new museum, we will standardize them. I hope to be able to show more soon. Perhaps Ian or Smitty can post up some of what they have as they are already in existing facilities and are well established?   Scott

photo bannerfans_11430117_zps8b63cb2d.gif