BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Father (USMC) & Son (USN) Grouping - UNIS Marked Gear, Theater Made Insignia  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
Just picked up this grouping from the thrift shop of all places.

It appears to be a father/son grouping; The father having served with the Marine Corps during WWII, the son with the Navy during Vietnam.

The Father's items consist of his painted trunk, UNIS marked M41 pack, 4th Mardiv SSI, Japanese Military bank note, and lastly, a marine corps service jacket made by the vet's wife for their son when he was a child (probably about 2 yrs old or so). On the jacket is an Australian made 1st Mardiv SSI.

The son's items, minus the aforementioned service jacket, is a Vietnam era M65 with what I assume is Vietnamese made pocket patch and shoulder rate.

The father was Henry J Abbott. Muster rolls have him enlisting in September, 1940. Last muster available is 1946, and he is listed as a Sgt. Need to do a little more digging, however by 1945 he was a Mortar Squadron Leader (MOS 614) with the 1st Mardiv.

The UNIS marking is for the 4th Mardiv, 23rd regiment.

The son's initials are also H.A., so I assume he was junior?

Additional research is needed on both vet's, but as you can imagine, I'm pretty excited about the grouping.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:03:01 AM by Masonk »
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline Masonk

The son's items. Not sure if anyone has an ID on the pocket patch...
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline Masonk

So, after some research, confirmed Henry J Abbott Jr (Vietnam Vet) was the son of the WWII vet.

Both are interred in Arlington National Cemetery.

Father - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Abbott&GSfn=Henry&GSmn=J&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=32221829&df=all&

Son - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Abbott&GSfn=Henry&GSmn=J&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=62723206&df=all&

Abbott Sr. enlisted with the Marine Corps September 23rd, 1940, and was discharged November 18th 1946.

From April 1942 to June 1944, Abbott served with the 1st Marine Division. Looks like he was with 3/7 (3rd Battalion, 7th Regiment) the entire time, per the muster rolls. He likley participated in the Guatal Canal Campaign. He definitely was at the Battle of Cape Gloucester (New Britain Campaign), as he was awarded the Silver Star for actions on January 14th, 1944.

Link to the citation here:

http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=35002

From December 1944-January 1946, he was with the 4th Mardiv. He served with 1/23. He likely participated in the the Iwo Jima campaign.

Regarding Abbott Jr, information is limited, however I know that he served from January 3rd, 1969 until December 1st, 1972. The rate on his headstone is CTO3, which would be Cryptologic Technician 3rd class.

A few additional items found at the same shop include Abbott Sr's Sgt Chevron, and Cape Gloucester tab.

Also found was a Naval Communications Training Center patch that would have belonged to Abbott Jr.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:05:39 AM by Masonk »
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline Masonk

Recently found out the phrase on the Navy pocket patch on the M65. Photo below for reference.

I searched the motto, and had no luck. Backwards "N" suggested Cyrilic, so possibly Russian, but no luck with Google translate.

So, I had someone who reads Russian look at it, and despite it being written incorrectly, they confirmed it roughly translates to:

"F*** You In The Ear"

Definitely not an authorized patch!

Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline Masonk

Received a call from the shop as they found a few other items belonging to Sgt Abbott, including his UNIS marked and ID'd canteen and web belt.

Also, a trench art salt/pepper shaker.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:02:50 PM by Masonk »
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline David

Recently found out the phrase on the Navy pocket patch on the M65. Photo below for reference.

I searched the motto, and had no luck. Backwards "N" suggested Cyrilic, so possibly Russian, but no luck with Google translate.

So, I had someone who reads Russian look at it, and despite it being written incorrectly, they confirmed it roughly translates to:

"F*** You In The Ear"

Definitely not an authorized patch!

Classic! ;D
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

Offline Masonk

Classic! ;D

My sentiments exactly, David!
Eric
ASMIC #5492

BannerFans.com