BannerFans.com

Author Topic: They're getting better!  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
They're getting better!
« on: March 19, 2016, 07:13:33 PM »
Just thought I would share a couple of badges that I recently acquired.  They are both Polish AF officer visor cap badges.  One is a fake the other real.  See if you can tell which is which? It is probably fairly easy to detect the fake side by side with the authentic piece but imagine it as a stand alone or even on an RAF visor cap.  I think many would be fooled, which could turn a $100 RAF cap into a $1,000 PAF cap in the blink of an eye. I do recognize that there a difference between a "reproduction" and a "fake", usually what separates them is intent.  Unfortunately just a reminder that we still need to keep a vigilant eye out for the unscrupulous, who are ready willing and able to separate us from our hard earned wages.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Jerry BB

Re: They're getting better!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:29:58 AM »
Not knowing what an original looks like, to my eyes these look very similar and I could not say which is an original and which is a copy.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »
I am going to say that the one on the right is the original. There are just a few more details in the head of the bird. I have no knowledge of these pieces as it is not an area that I collect so I will take a guess and defer to our forum members who specialize in this area to help educate us..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »
Is the fake from the Asian sub-continent? Bullion work tends to be a speciality of theirs.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »
The one on the right is real one.  I only say that because it doesn't look as nice.

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
The one on the right is the authentic one.  Ian, you are correct the fake I believe came from an Asian sub-continent country.  Like I said in the topic line...they're getting better.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 07:52:56 AM »
The reason for making such fakes intrigues me. They are hand-made and therefore labour-intensive. Then they have to be shipped overseas....and sold in sufficient quantities to cover costs and make a profit, otherwise why do it? But also...Polish insignia is a very niche market, unlike say Third Reich or US insignia. So who's going to buy them in such quantities to actually make them worth faking. Go figure?!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
Didn't mean this thread to be just about the Polish insignia (although the Free Poles were allies) it was more along the lines of how good the bullion reproducers/fakers are getting with their products.  This particular seller has them available in "aged" and "unaged".  And Ian you are correct in thinking that how can they make any money doing this?  I paid $25 for the fake and I'd wager it most likely cost no more than $1 to manufacture in Pakistan. BTW the actual "seller" is in the UK. And as I mentioned above the unscrupulous can turn a $100 RAF cap into a $1,200 PAF cap pretty damn quick!

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 07:24:12 AM »
It wouldn't be an "Andrew Butler" special...would it?!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 07:33:17 AM »
Ian,

Not sure.  What Ebay name does he trade under?  Here is a photo from the website showing the sellers aged and unaged, a veritable "before and "after".  To his credit this seller does advertise all as "reproductions".  It's what one or two of his customers might do with these pieces that causes some concern.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 07:46:57 AM »
"Old Club Badges" I think? He's an established legitimate dealer well known over here for the repros he has made and sells as such.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:48:50 AM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 07:50:16 AM »
Here's another British outfit which specializes in ditressed insignia and headgear etc. Check 'em out!

http://www.warhats.com/
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »
Here's another British outfit which specializes in ditressed insignia and headgear etc. Check 'em out!

http://www.warhats.com/

Ian,

I know both those Ebay sellers and have purchased items from both of them.  They both are as far as I know respected and well known sellers.  My implication was what an unscrupulous one of their customers could do with some of their product.  It's getting that good.  I brought this topic to light because as embarrassing as it is and after 38 years of collecting, I was taken and fooled by a faker.  Again not by either one of those fine sellers but possibly by one of their customers.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 03:49:10 AM »
You're right enough Paul. Over the years, collectors have demanded better and better quality repros, whether it's uniforms and equipment or insignia...and the industry has responded by raising their game accordingly. The current generation are generally really very good and of course it raises the problem of them being sold on in the future as originals by unscrupulous sellers to unsuspecting buyers. We've all fallen foul of that...me included! Until the manufacturers of repros draw up a universal code of practice under which they mark their products accordingly, the problem will continue. I once challenged a Belgian manufacturer/dealer as to why his repro US field gear bore genuine WW2 manufacturer's names and WW2 dates. He simply shrugged and said, "Because it's what re-enacters want".
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com