BannerFans.com

Author Topic: "They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind!"  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 5
Re: "They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind!"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 02:16:50 AM »
LeMay for the USAAF and Harris for the RAF were war-winners at a time when our Japanese / German enemies had declared "total war" against us...which is what prompted Harris's famous phrase above. Today, with hindsight and the way that wars are now fought according to a rule-book, we've all become familiar with the term "collateral damage". It wasn't really a consideration in WW2. I don't suppose it bothered the Luftwaffe when they bombed Guernica, London, Coventry, Swansea, Southampton etc etc., nor the Japs when they bombed Pearl Harbor, Nanking or Darwin etc? Today's standards should not be applied to yesterday's wars.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:17:45 AM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 04:57:16 AM »
Paybacks a bitch. Who cares what the authors think.  Germany and Japan started the war and the Allies finished it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:59:59 AM by M1Ashooter »

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Paybacks a bitch. Who cares what the authors think.  Germany and Japan started the war and the Allies finished it.
Exactly. When you start a war, you get what you get. Best not to start one in the first place.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline David

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »
LeMay for the USAAF and Harris for the RAF were war-winners at a time when our Japanese / German enemies had declared "total war" against us...which is what prompted Harris's famous phrase above. Today, with hindsight and the way that wars are now fought according to a rule-book, we've all become familiar with the term "collateral damage". It wasn't really a consideration in WW2. I don't suppose it bothered the Luftwaffe when they bombed Guernica, London, Coventry, Swansea, Southampton etc etc., nor the Japs when they bombed Pearl Harbor, Nanking or Darwin etc? Today's standards should not be applied to yesterday's wars.

I agree wholeheartedly. Unconditional surrender was necessary and completely warranted!
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 07:36:41 PM »
reminds me of the firebombing of dresden. doubt that would happen today. politicians wouldn't even let us get serious in vietnam, or cambodia. i said to the guys i was with, if uncle sugar had half of a functioning brain cell, he would have left the entire battle in the south to the arvns, put every single one of us on the dmz and pointed us north, with no rules. it would have been ugly, but war always is.
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 07:03:52 AM »
During WW2 in the Pacific we took the gloves off and actually won that war big time. It would appear the lesson was forgotten.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

BannerFans.com