BannerFans.com

Author Topic: WW2 USAAF Officer's insignia (embroidered)  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
WW2 USAAF Officer's insignia (embroidered)
« on: July 25, 2015, 11:07:52 AM »
During WW2, US manufacturers produced a wide range of embroidered insignia for officers. This included rank insignia, Branch-of-Service and qualification badges. Such insignia was invariably very well detailed and can be found on dark OD ("chocolate") gabardine, khaki cotton ("suntan" uniform), HBT and OD cotton poplin. I have examples of all types. Silver insignia is represented by white thread, brass by golden yellow and any other colours as necessary, eg red on Signal Corps insignia and blue on the CIB etc.

This is a used but full set of USAAF insignia removed from a Colonel's uniform...but not by me! It's embroidered on dark OD gabardine, just like an officer's Class A service coat. However, such insignia does not seem to have been that widely used if the lack of photographic evidence is anything to go by! After all, if you were an AAF officer walking out in your super-smart "pinks 'n' greens", would you want dull, flat embroidered insignia or shiny brass and silver? I know which I'd prefer!

(Apologies for the one or two pics where I didn't get the focus quite right!   ::)  )
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Re: WW2 USAAF Officer's insignia (embroidered)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
A few more wings, some like the Glider Pilots' and Navigators' wings have been trimmed from the OD backing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:51:28 PM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com