photo bannerfans_11430117_zps8b63cb2d.gif

Author Topic: USAF Weatherman Grouping  (Read 5808 times)

Offline hardflip

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
USAF Weatherman Grouping
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »
Another one from different guy. Pretty cool stuff IMO.

Couple of Special Forces related normal DCUs.

Couple of USAF BDUs

I think this is pretty cool. I like the jump wings.

Fully patched M65

And finally a piece which IMO is the nicest one in the lot, Canadian smock.
Never give up.

ASMIC #5393

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: USAF Weatherman Grouping
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
Very nice. What's the Canadian connection?
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline TRR

• FORUM MANAGER
  • Referrals: 8
      • Tinkers Row Relics
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:54:12 PM »
That is quite the array of uniforms and services. I would be curious of the provenance or history behind the soldier. Army SF, Air Force weather, and Canadian service seems a lot for one career. Not saying it couldn't be, but if so it must be interesting. I had some stuff from a prior service guy that was SF and went back in a decade later in the guard. Not to many DCUs with SPC rank and a long tab. Thanks for sharing with us!
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANYTHING RELATED TO THE 38TH INFANTRY REGIMENT

ERIK A. KASSEL
A.M.F. Forum Manager

ASMIC #5218

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:07:25 PM »
I'd like to know more about this person.  I have a friend who is a career USAF weather guesser and might know this person.

Offline hardflip

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:34:15 PM »
Yes, I would like to know more about the person and his career. Cool stuff but definitely the best uniforms I have in my collection.

What I know is the following.

The uniforms are from 80's to 2007 or so. And Special Forces is there because he was attached to them and is not SF qualified as far as I know. According to the soldier/airman in question he refers his service blue-green-blue-green as he started in the AF and retired in the Army and switched back couple of times (back n forth).

Last service was in Iraq with SF. The SF patched uniforms he was AF SOWT in Desert Storm and later again in early OIF.

The Civil Air Patrol is from the time he had gotten out of the service for few years but this hard charger had his BDU top in great condition. The Canadian para jacket is from cross-training with Canadian paras.
Never give up.

ASMIC #5393

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »
The weather guesser field is a small field. I'll ask my Lt Col retired friend if he knows this man.  If this history is correct he was maybe a Smsgt in the AF.

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:06:28 PM »
The uniforms look right but the story doesn't feel right to me.  The DCU rank is as an E7 and I believe the patch on the left shoulder is a medical patch.  If he is a weather puke and a senior one at that where is his weather badge,  The Army rank is an E7 and the USAF is an E8 .  I've heard of the Blue to Green program to help transfer USAF people to the Army but not a Green to Blue program.

Please don't get upset with my terms for the weather peoples.  I have close wx friends but I still remember USAF Wx guys giving us a briefing one day in Nov that the forecast was clear skys and 40 degrees.  Somehow they missed a snow strom and I got snowed in in a ICBM site for two days or the time the Wing Commander calls me for a weather report and current observation and I tell him based on what was reported to me from the WX shop, -10, clr and 15 miles of vis, only to have he say to me then whats this white stuff falling from the sky?

Offline hardflip

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
Oh no dont think that I will get upset that was funny.

I have a open book policy about collecting so if we as a group of like minded people can find the correct answer for these pieces of cloth that would be super. I am just relaying the information I got from seller. He also seem to know this person well.

The patch is for 3rd Medical Command.

Would it be possible for him to leave Army and the join USAF? And how does the Civil Air Patrol fit in? Would that be between Army -> USA? And I have no idea what is the correct order of these uniforms they are definitely not presented in chronical order.

And guys look at this. This is not in my possession (should have been though) but I know this is from the same seller and belonging to the same guy.

(huge picture)

Never give up.

ASMIC #5393

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 12:04:29 AM »
From a Civil Air Patrol view point a person can wear the uniform with their badges and awards and dec as long as they meet what I will call AFR 35-10 and weight standard..  AFR35-10 was the uniform reg during my time.  I look at CAP but found I was too fat to waer my blues.

Offline TRR

• FORUM MANAGER
      • Tinkers Row Relics
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 03:27:54 AM »
The quick answer could be found if the seller would be willing to ask for a dd214 from the vet. He could easily make a copy blacking out his personal info, that would give his service history.

From my knowledge, there is a lot of unanswered questions. I know some of the guys at the 14th Weather Squadron, will run the pictures by them tomorrow. I never say never until I see evidence either way. Things like HALO and mixed uniforms like AF rank with Army patches, always make me want to check the story. Hopefully we can connect the dots. What are the dates of manufacture, that may help you put them in order.

ERIK A. KASSEL
A.M.F. Forum Manager

ASMIC #5218

Offline hardflip

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 04:47:40 AM »
Yes I agree that I could do that but will not at this point. Let's see how far we can get by ourselves. I do not have any doubts regarding the seller but I do not know or have not interacted with the vet.

The easy part would be a picture of him in dress uniform. That would also give us an idea what he's been up to. Regarding the wear of patches on USAF uniform is not that rare and seems to be allowed from time to time. If he is really a Wx guy I have no idea why he was in 3rd Medical Command. I have a guess though.

It seems that these Wx guys operate in Special Operations Weather teams or are attached to other SOF elements. There are few articles of Wx guy in MARSCO team in Afghanistan.

Special Operations Weathermen deploy almost exclusively with Army SOCOM personnel, including Rangers, Special Forces operators and elements of the 160TH Special Operations Aviation Regiment, as well as SEALs and other units, in direct action and FID missions.  (Read more: http://sofrep.com/combat-weathermen/a-day-in-the-life/#ixzz3DThcrHoQ)

There is live feed (ACC News) for example where USAF Wx guy is wearing Mountain tab and 10th Mountain Division patch on left sleeve. And if you think about the extensive training these guys go for I would not be surprised that this guy probably is really good on something. But still I am open for ideas regarding the service history. Very good stuff.

I looked at the uniforms and if I understood correctly the contracts are telling the following.

Canadian Smock, December 1978 (it says that on the label)
M65, 1986 contract
CAP, 1991 contract
BDU, 2003 contract (both have the same)
DCU, 1997 contract (wider collar)
DCU, 2003 contract
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:50:07 AM by hardflip »
Never give up.

ASMIC #5393

Offline TRR

• FORUM MANAGER
      • Tinkers Row Relics
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »
That information is interesting and does help the puzzle. I know we had AF weather guys in our Brigade HQ but they did not wear Army insignia or patches. With Special Operations, anything is possible. Just based on the dates, I would assume he had a break in service after Desert Storm and joined CAP, that break seems to be common because of the drawdown. Then he went back in for GWOT. Still a great set and seems more plausiblle as the details unfold.

ERIK A. KASSEL
A.M.F. Forum Manager

ASMIC #5218

Offline TRR

• FORUM MANAGER
      • Tinkers Row Relics
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
Ok, I got a chance to talk with a friend today who is a retired weather guy from the Air Force, served from the late 80s-2003. He never joined the combat weatherman or what he called para-weatherman. He was able to explain some it and how they embed with different units and have to carry the same jump qualifications. So that would explain the cross-training and also HALO qualifications. He also said that the Air Force allowed them to wear to Army combat SSI and current unit SSI with their Air Force uniform, so that explains the mix. Even not as a combat weather, he wore the 2ID patch on his Air Force uniform when he was attached to the division in Korea.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/combatweather.htm

Just based off the dates, I would say sometime after GWOT started he transferred to the Army. That would explain the Medic patch as the Army no longer has a Weather MOS, it was eliminated in the 80s. Also the rank drop, as you lose a rank going from AF to Army. With all the gathered information, I would say everything looks correct and I for sure learned something new. If you get anymore info about the Soldier, I would be interested to hear about it. I bet he had a pretty exciting career.

Thanks again for posting this wonderful grouping.

ERIK A. KASSEL
A.M.F. Forum Manager

ASMIC #5218

Offline hardflip

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
Thank you! That is very good information and really gives and idea of what was going on.

It still puzzles me a bit why he was to wear 3rd Medical Command SSI but I do understand that he was attached/embedded to that unit for certain reason.

I will try to get my hands on the Special Forces patched BDU for sure and will see if I can get any other item from this mans gear. It would nice to have something to add to this. Thanks everybody for helping me this was really cool stuffs.

Any questions regarding please send me PM or just wrote it down here.
Never give up.

ASMIC #5393

Offline TRR

• FORUM MANAGER
      • Tinkers Row Relics
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 03:29:53 AM »
Your welcome., I hope you get it. 

The 3rd Medical would have been his current Army unit when he transferred from the Air Force permanently. All his badge qualifications were Army schools he attended while in the air force and therefore still authorized for wear. He would have had a different MOS then because the Army does not have weatherman.

ERIK A. KASSEL
A.M.F. Forum Manager

ASMIC #5218

BannerFans.com