BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Martha Raye  (Read 1719 times)

Offline gldank

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I Am Old But I Was In The Navy When It Was Cool!
  • Referrals: 0
Martha Raye
« on: July 26, 2014, 05:46:58 AM »
It was well recognized that Martha Raye endured less comfort and more danger than any other Vietnam entertainer.

The most unforgivable oversight of TV is that her shows were not taped. I was unaware of her credentials or where she is buried.

Somehow I just can't see Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, or Jessica Simpson doing what this woman and the other USO women, including Ann Margaret & Joey Heatherton did for our troops in past wars. Most of the old time entertainers were made of a lot sterner stuff than today's crop of activist bland whiners.

The following is from an Army Aviator who takes a trip down memory lane: "It was just before Thanksgiving '67 and we were ferrying dead and wounded from a large GRF west  of Pleiku. We had run out of body bags by noon, so the Hook (CH-47 CHINOOK) was pretty rough in the back.   

All of a sudden, we heard a 'take-charge' woman's voice in the rear. There was the singer and actress, Martha Raye, with a Special Forces beret and jungle fatigues, with subdued markings, helping the wounded into the Chinook, and carrying the dead aboard. 

'Maggie' had been visiting her SF 'heroes' out 'west'. We took off, short of fuel, and headed to the USAF hospital pad at Pleiku. As we all started unloading  our sad pax's, a USAF Captain said to Martha...."Ms Raye, with all these dead and wounded to process, there would not be time for your show!"

To all of our surprise, she pulled on her right collar and said ....."Captain, see this eagle? I am a full 'Bird' in the US Army Reserve, and on this is a 'Caduceus'  which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical specialty....now, take me to your wounded!"

He said, "Yes ma'am.... follow me."   
Several times at the Army Field Hospital in Pleiku, she would 'cover' a surgical shift, giving a nurse a well-deserved break. 

Martha is the only woman buried in the SF
(Special Forces) cemetery at Ft Bragg.

Verified: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/martharaye.asp
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:51:53 AM by gldank »
James

I am looking for anything related to General Malin Craig, US Army (1875-1945)

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Martha Raye
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »
I've read about her USO service and loyalty to the Army over the years. I wish other entertainers would latch-on to the boys like the old time stars did.
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:30:46 PM »
I've read about her USO service and loyalty to the Army over the years. I wish other entertainers would latch-on to the boys like the old time stars did.

She was a grand lady.  We have a lot of entertainers with the troops but they aren't in film.  Our Country folk do a lot.

Toby Keith is just one of them.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »
I have a book about Martha's experiences in Vietnam somewhere...

I can recall the picture on the cover is a color picture of her in jungle fatigues and green beret..

Incredible woman..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

BannerFans.com