BannerFans.com

Author Topic: 2nd Lt Phanor B Waters 352nd FG 487th FS  (Read 5486 times)

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
2nd Lt Phanor B Waters 352nd FG 487th FS
« on: September 23, 2014, 11:17:07 AM »
  This post ,is my own little memoriam to Phanor B Waters , 

Who died 70 years ago to this very date , on the 23rd September  in 1944 while flying support for the "OPERATION MARKET GARDEN "  over Almelo ,Holland

His grave marker  in the American cemetry at Margarten, Limburg , Netherlands  is shown below

im have been trying to upload his MACR to this post but with no luck !  so please bear with me on the details as im having to copy them

his aircraft was called "Gracie" and its serial number was 44-7094

the macr was filled in by lt col J C Meyers   his commanding officer

" Lt Waters was a member of red flight led by  Capt Johnson , consisting of Lts Clark and Ayers . When Lt Col Meyer ,squadron leader was in the vicinity of Hengelo, he was called by Capt Johnsonat about 17.30 hrs who asked his posistion and gave that of his flight as vicinity Almelo. Capt Johnson  said he was taking a heading of  270 . A short while later LT Taylor heard what he thought was Capt Johnson telling his flight to "break"
Nothing else was heard or is known concerning the flights failure to return "

RIP  Phanor

LB
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:29:37 AM by littlebuddy »
2017 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: 2nd Lt Phanor B Waters 352nd FG 487th FS
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
That's an unusual name..."Phanor". Do you actually have any of his his medals/paperwork etc Carl?
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »
This is P B Waters B4 suitcase , it was from this piece , for which i knew nothing about him at the time , sent me on a little voyage of discovery ,to learn more about him

LB
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 11:40:44 AM »
That's an unusual name..."Phanor". Do you actually have any of his his medals/paperwork etc Carl?

If only Ian !!  As you know,  the  487th FS  items   do command a very very high price due to their fame in the ETO !

Only the suitcase is in my little hands , and there it is going to stay ! :D

LB

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »
I. Ever did get any further on Phanor Waters.  What we do know is he was New Orleans Royalty in terms of family history with grandpa, Phanor Breazeale having been a well known lawyer/District Attorney and congressman.  Phanor Breazeale Waters was the offspring of Julia Breazeale and Arthur Waters.

I need to find time to chase this some more as you know there has to be family still living

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 12:47:18 PM »
I have a clipping from a year book which includes Lt P B Waters  what do the numbers repesent/stand for after his name ? an i presume  the other name is his fraternity ??

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »
Just  an important update to this thread ! 

I have been contacted by Lt Waters niece , it was totally out of the blue and goes to show the wonders of the internet !

So i wait now with bated breath on the information coming from his niece

LB

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
Wow !  :o  Too cool !  8)

Standing by.   :P

KTB
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
Wow !  :o  Too cool !  8)

Standing by.   :P

KTB

If your excited K ,   think how i feel ???   ;D

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
As i mentioned in an earlier post ,i have been in steady contact with Lt Waters niece , we have sent each other lenghty emails regarding her uncle , and she has kindly sent me a few pictures and scans of family items.Some of the items i have been asked not to share publicy  due to the family related content and i will uphold her wishes as im sure you will all understand

I have posted in the awards section  Peters posthumous Purple Heart  ( although his name was Phanor ,his family called him Peter )

Then there is this photo of Peter and his 2 brothers and his father all of them serving their country , it brought a lumpto my throat seeing this picture
 From the right   Arthur Waters  (Peters Father)  his older brother Arthur Jr   then Peter , and the youngest Harcourt

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 01:43:28 PM »
I do hope that this meets with your approval Isabel ? :)

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 07:17:37 AM »
A little bit more information i have been sent about Peter and the aircraft he flew  many thanks to member "WMV "

Peter arrived in mid August. He had a PR photo taken at the 9th of September, which usually happened when a pilot got officially assigned to a squadron. The next day was probably the day of his first combat mission. At the time he was not assigned to a specific aircraft, but instead he was given "Gracie, Josephine, Hedy" (on the port's side nacelle Gracie and on starboard's side nacelle Josephine and Hedy), which was assigned to lt. Malcolm C. Pickering. On his first mission Peter shot down 2 JU-52 transports and on another mission 1 day later he shot down a FW-190.  I do have a copy of his pilot card and also 2 pictures of the plane (one picture with maybe Peter and another person in front of the plane and also a picture with the plane and lt. Malcolm C Pickering).   

During the time that Peter flew with Gracie, she was flown by at least 3 other pilots. However, it could be that she would have become a spare, because the new P51-D models arrived at Bodney in June 1944. The following I know about the name she was given. Gracie was lt. Pickerings wife and Josephine was the wife of crew chief S/Sgt. Al Giesting. I do know that Hedy was the wife of the armorer

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
The guy on the left of this photo is the crew chief  SGT Al Geisting  the other guy is  SGT Jack Gillenwater

It is Geistings wifes name was Joesephine (?) and  Hedy was the name of Gillenwaters wife ,  Gracie  could have well been  the wife of  Lt Pickering who was also assigned the same aircraft as Peter

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:42:13 AM by littlebuddy »

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 07:36:21 AM »
Lt Pickering who also flew GRACIE

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »
71 years ago today .  We once again remember Lt P B Waters  RIP

"to a friend i never knew "

LB

BannerFans.com