BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Kitbashed Curtiss HS-2L Flying Boat Chatham NAS 1918  (Read 853 times)

Offline Robswashashore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Kitbashed Curtiss HS-2L Flying Boat Chatham NAS 1918
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »
Chatham Naval Air Station here on Cape Cod was a birthplace of Naval Aviation.  Shortly after America's entry into WWI, the blimps and flying boats stationed there were active in patrolling the East Coast for prowling German U-boats.  There was a squadron of  the big Curtiss HS-2L'S at Chatham

I kitbashed this HS-2L from the Roden 1/72 Curtiss H-16 kit.  It required a great deal of surgery, as the H-16 was a lot bigger than the HS-2L and its fuselage lines and tail differed rather significantly as well.  When I was done I just couldn't resist ginning up a tiny Davis gun to mount on the nose.  The Davis gun was the original recoil-less cannon, which simultaneously shot a 6 lb shell out one end and six pounds of counterbalancing shot and grease out the other.  For those of you who, like myself, were wondering -- yes, it had to be done very carefully to avoid holing the fuselage or the Liberty engine with that counterbalancing shot!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:31:51 PM by Robswashashore »

Offline Robswashashore

• Referrals: 0
Re: Kitbashed Curtiss HS-2L Flying Boat Chatham NAS 1918
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Kitbashed Curtiss HS-2L Flying Boat Chatham NAS 1918
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 05:27:48 AM »
Looks like a lot of patience and delicate handling was required?!
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com