BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Motorcycles  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Jerry BB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Motorcycles
« on: March 05, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
I have been riding motorcycles for most of the time since I was 11 years old, now in my mid 50's.  Apart from a few Brit bikes that were never running I have always had Japanese bikes apart from a short period with a Sportster.

Out today on my latest bike, a 99 Kawasaki ZR7 F1 (750) which is the last bike derived from the 1970's z650 of which I also own one of, though it needs some work to get it back on the road.

There was snow on the top of the mountains out today and it was a bit cold, but not too bad and the roads were mostly dry.

8)

Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 02:07:45 PM »
Jerry, my last riding days were in the late 1960's, (I put the 19 in there because some smart A$$ like JS would add....oh 1860?)
I have toyed with getting an Electra Glide, but my body says NO. Oh well, memories.... ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:11:40 PM by Fearless Leader »
THE ALLIED MILITARIA FORUM...... "The freedom forum"!
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »
rode nothing but harleys my whole life, until i gave it up in the mid 80's. when it's nice and sunny out, i miss it some days. three of them had sidecars, which can be a lot of fun.
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
      • Dr. Davis
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:36:29 PM »
Nice. 8)
I had two British bikes after I got out of the army in the mid 70's, first a BSA 650 Lightning , then a 650 Triumph Bonneville, sold that for a plane ticket to Germany, was going to buy my colleague's Harley when I came back from my 3 week vacation, the rest is history.
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Mickey Mantle

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 02:59:05 AM »
Just the day for a blast along the A470 to the Beacons...and back!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Jerry BB

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »
Just the day for a blast along the A470 to the Beacons...and back!

Indeed a470 for the pics, mostly a40 for the ride from mine to brecon town, then via the fans and down the Swansea valley to get bits and a fry up at the bike shop near gorseinon, then a48 back home, c.120 miles all in.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline Jerry BB

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »
Apart from collecting and riding motorcycles, my other hobby is hill walking which actually includes walking over mountains and along the coast of Wales and elsewhere in the UK.

The wife and I were out today upon the mountains above where I went out on the bike yesterday in the Brecon Beacons.  I also like to take pics wherever we go.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 02:56:35 PM »
Have you done the Cheviots yet Jerry ?
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 11:12:52 PM »
We'll be off to Abergavenny for the weekend ourselves next week. I love driving along the Usk Valley etc. Beautiful!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Jerry BB

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 03:29:20 AM »
Have you done the Cheviots yet Jerry ?

LB,

no not yet, mostly been walking in Wales, done nearly all of Pembrokeshire coast path and all of Cardiganshire coast path as well as other chunks of it, also been walking in the Gower, Scotland, Cornwall, Anglesey & Lake district etc......Obviously walk in the Beacons on a regular basis
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 05:16:44 AM »
if any of you have the patience to read it, i'd like to tell a little anecdote about harleys and soldiers friends. i owned harleys for years. when i went to vietnam, my 64 HD stayed with my dad. when i got out, all i wanted to do was ride. i had spent my last few months at ft ord with another soldier as a barrack mate, who also was a harley guy. he had bought one the same year as mine. i lived in sacramento at the time, and he was from chicago. he got orders for korea, and there was no way for him to get the bike to chicago before he had to leave. so he rode it up to my place in sacramento, and i got mine out. we then rode them up to a friends place in grass valley. once there, we pulled the battery out, drained the gas tanks, dug a huge hole with his backhoe, lined it with plastic sheeting, wrapped the bike up as well, and we buried it. we had no place to store it while he was gone. he was very worried about theft. when he got back a year later, we dug it up, serviced it, cleaned it, put in a new battery, aired the tires back up, and he rode it home to chicago. he rode that bike for years after, but eventually it was stolen. looking back on this now, laughing about some of the things young guys do. how many bikes would survive that kind of abuse, and still be usable? [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 05:18:23 AM »
forgot to mention, the pic i posted shows my 64 harley, and my 1953 chevrolet. i am the short guy on the far left of the pic.
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 06:20:07 AM »
Helluva bike...helluva story!!  :)
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Propwash

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
Here's the new project I just unleashed in the garage.  1972 Bonny barn find.  Took a bit of haggling and sometime to take it off the previous owners hands.  Got it home last friday and have been tearing down since.  Yesterday just opened up the motor and got the block separated.  Going to take some work and coin to get it running again but I have yet to find any major part (aside from the seat and carbs) that will need replacement.  Most of the bits are in great shape for sitting for 25 years.
Always on the lookout for USAAF flight gear and anything pertaining to the Aleutians Campaign.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 03:54:00 AM »
The Triumph Bonneville enjoys a cult status among bikers in this country. Before the Japanese "invasion" it was the benchmark machine. Good luck with your project!  ( You'll need to get a retro British-style skid-lid and a pair of Stadium goggles!)

"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com