BannerFans.com

Author Topic: BLACKOUT, The Homefront Board Game  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 3
BLACKOUT, The Homefront Board Game
« on: November 10, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
Here is another WW2 era board game that was my father's during the war. It was called Blackout.

Blackouts were a necessary part of life in WW2 America and other parts of the World. Blackouts existed at nighttime to confuse enemy bomber crews in order for ineffective air raids. We have all seen the pictures of London during the Blitz where the fires raging in London were a beacon for German bombers. After the Pearl Harbor attack, America took blackouts quite seriously, especially on the East and West coast as well as around factories that produced the war machines.

Here is the board game that replicated blacking out an area of the city and the consequences of leaving an area unprotected. It has some water damage to the board, but you can see the areas that have to be blacked out before the planes arrive overhead. The factory area, the ship yards and other areas..

Smitty

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline lewis505

• PLANKOWNER
  • "Aterrice y Ataque!"
  • Referrals: 0
      • 82d Airborne Division Museum - Fort Bragg, NC
Re: BLACKOUT, The Homefront Board Game
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
Thats pretty cool Smitty!  You always surprise me with the "depth" of your collection my friend!
CHRIS LEWIS
Fort Benning, GA.
lewis2505@yahoo.com

*always looking for items related to:
82d ABN DIV (any era) // 505th PIR // 551st PIB
50th Infantry Regiment // 36th Infantry Regiment

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »
"Put that bloody light out!" was one of the most repeated British phrases of WW2 and one which has since gone down in folklore. That's a cool looking game Leigh. Have you tried playing it yourself? If so...is it a fun game?

Blackout trivia:  WW2 US Army MPs adopted white helmet liners because of the British blackout, white helmets being more visible in the prevailing pitch black conditions.  Also, British civilian deaths from car accidents rocketed during the early stages of the blackout, leading to a variety of safety measures...usually involving white paint!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:13:40 AM »
"Put that bloody light out!" was one of the most repeated British phrases of WW2 and one which has since gone down in folklore. That's a cool looking game Leigh. Have you tried playing it yourself? If so...is it a fun game?

Blackout trivia:  WW2 US Army MPs adopted white helmet liners because of the British blackout, white helmets being more visible in the prevailing pitch black conditions.  Also, British civilian deaths from car accidents rocketed during the early stages of the blackout, leading to a variety of safety measures...usually involving white paint!

I have never played the game but it appears very simple, roll the dice and based on the number you fill in spaces on the board with the black squares. Not sure what the red dots are for but they must mean that an area was not covered and exposed to an air raid.

On another note, both my Grandfathers were Air Raid wardens and they took their jobs seriously. I still have the civil defense helmet and reflective Sam Browne Belt that belonged to him..

Pictures to follow here later on..

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 06:43:26 AM »
It's ironic, looking back, that the USA had no real need for Air Raid Wardens as your country was well beyond the range of the enemy's capability. A few Japanese fire balloons ending up in Washington state was about all you had to deal with. With regard to your blackout...it was necessary along your eastern seaboard to prevent coastal vessels being silhouetted as potential targets for enemy submarines, plus it prevented the subs from fixing their positions via known landmarks. It wasn't until 9/11 that, sadly, you experienced destruction from the air.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:46:30 AM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline lewis505

• PLANKOWNER
  • "Aterrice y Ataque!"
  • Referrals: 0
      • 82d Airborne Division Museum - Fort Bragg, NC
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 05:57:04 AM »
My Mom was born in November 1935 & grew up on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn, NY - she vividly remembered the Air Raid Warden would come by every afternoon & ensure that blankets had been hung over the windows of the apartment; I believe the warden also had a lookout station on the roof of the building, since they were very close to Floyd Bennett Field & would track aircraft as they came & went from the airbase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Bennett_Field
CHRIS LEWIS
Fort Benning, GA.
lewis2505@yahoo.com

*always looking for items related to:
82d ABN DIV (any era) // 505th PIR // 551st PIB
50th Infantry Regiment // 36th Infantry Regiment

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
Chris,

Great stuff..

My Grandfathers (both) took their jobs as Air Raid Wardens very serious..

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

BannerFans.com