BannerFans.com

Author Topic: 79th FG P-40/ P-47 pilot.  (Read 846 times)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
79th FG P-40/ P-47 pilot.
« on: June 23, 2017, 10:29:10 PM »
With more than my share of luck lately, I happened upon a listing for what I recognized as British battle dress with both RAF and USAAF wings on them.  It was listed as an Ike jacket.  I couldn't hit the buy it now fast enough.  It was named and some quick digging through my group histories for the MTO fighter groups, I found him as part of the 85th FS, 79th FG.  He flew 80 missions and finished with 2-3 kills depending on the source along with a DFC and 10 air medals.  Sadly he died in a car wreck in 1946.  His wife never remarried and all of his wartime gear was kept in two trunks in the attic.  At the estate sale a picker got them and was selling the bits out over the last 8 months.  Wish I'd seen the other stuff but this is now the centerpiece of my little collection.  I'd only recently gotten an RAF Type D helmet that was also USAAF used.  Together with those RAAF flying boots, my guy looks ready to hop in his DAF P-40 and go out hunting for Afrika Korp ground targets.  I'd put my RAF Type 41 Mae West on him but it would cover the jacket too much and we'll assume his flight will not be over water :)

The pilot in question

The wings

Jacket

Pants

Offline littlebuddy

• USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
Re: 79th FG P-40/ P-47 pilot.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:25:44 AM »
Gotta be the score of the year for you Dan !!! I have never seen a USAAF used British battledress !!
2017 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 06:56:12 AM »
Whoaaa...someone hit the jackpot! Good original WW2 Battledress uniforms are becoming increasingly hard to find, even here in the UK and therefore tend to be rather pricey...let alone one with a USAAF connection. Congrats on your find.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »
Dan,

Just an awesome set up!  I have an id'd item, 79th FG related.  Don't have time tonight to take photos but will try and do it tomorrow.  If you don't mind me hijacking your thread, I'll post the photos here.  Again just a great item you scored there.

Paul

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 10:01:13 PM »
Feel free to post away Paul. The more the merrier :)

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »
Feel free to post away Paul. The more the merrier :)
Dan,
The Item I have is a well used RAF D flight helmet.  Id'd to Robert J. Fuller, 79th FG, 86th FS (The Comanches).  The lot consists of his D helmet A-10 oxygen mask, a small photo of him on the flight line wearing this helmet and a letter of provenance from his daughter.  I added the 79th FG unit history by Schiffler and the 86th FS leather patch.  The patch is an RKO Studios patch and not an original WWII one.  It's hard to see but each ear cup has a piece of orange tinted plexiglass holding in the receivers.  Apparently this was done instead of the gauze tape you usually see on US used RAF flight helmets.  Also for reasons unknown the inside left ear donut he has taped over.  Just a nice "been there" id'd flight helmet.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »
Beautiful!   My A-14 is probably a bit early for the time frame.  Guess I'll have to track down an A-10 :)

The Type D was clearly a USAAF example and it did come out of an attic in the US.  It too has that well used look, with lots of sweat stains and dirt.  Interestingly enough I've had Don Woerpol's first version of the 79th history for a long time.  Just ordered the Schiffer version as I understand it's updated from the original.

Thanks for sharing this :)

BannerFans.com