BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Netted and Scrimmed 1941 dated C.L./C.  (Read 199 times)

Offline Mark K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Netted and Scrimmed 1941 dated C.L./C.
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:00:14 AM »
A rather nice 1941 dated C.L./C. sporting a lovely late war knotted and scrimmed Canadian two tone net the oilcloth ( America cloth ) is in three different shades dark brown,light brown and green and shown heavy use and wear...The paint on the exterior of helmet body is rather dull and very likely caused by long term movement of the net over the surface ...This example has that been there done that look I like so much in my helmets...

Regards Mark

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Netted and Scrimmed 1941 dated C.L./C.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 05:28:02 AM »
I like the two-tone Canadian nets...I've got one on a US M1.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Mark K

• Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:45:59 AM »
Thanx Ian as do I here is an example from my collection of a Canadian Post war used M-1 with provenance to the R 22 R ( Royal 22 Regiment ) and a few period images of soldiers wearing M 1 helmets with two tone nets prior and during operation cottage that you might find of interest ( In the summer of 1943, American and Canadian forces launched an amphibious assault on the north Pacific island of Kiska. Code named Cottage, the operation was intended to seize the last enemy stronghold on North American soil from Japanese occupiers. The assault began in the predawn hours of August 15 with a heavy coastal barrage by an armada of nearly 100 Allied warships. Intense fire support was followed by a chaotic but successful ship-to-shore movement of over 34,000 U.S. Army and Canadian combat infantrymen. For 2 long days, the invasion force slugged its way inland through thick fog and against the constant din of machine gun and artillery fire. By the time the island was declared secure, over 300 Allied soldiers lay dead or seriously wounded. Japanese casualties? There were none. The Japanese had abandoned the island almost 3 weeks prior.)

Regards Mark

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:16:02 AM »
Love the battledress / M1 combination. I hasten to add that I added the two-tone net to one of my M1s...it didn't come with it! I'm not averse to doing things like that for display purposes.

"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com