BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Air Ministry's RAF Flying Clothing Collection  (Read 5609 times)

Offline nimsiemilitaria

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Air Ministry's RAF Flying Clothing Collection
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 06:12:14 AM »
When I get a chance I'll post another picture of this mannequin in the dark with the chart board lamp on, it's quite atmospheric.

David, I really like this period with the cross over in gear, I will post another couple of pictures of this sort of thing soon.

Tug, just to show how anal I am about this sort of thing, I have since added an Air Ministry chinagraph pencil to the display.

My light fitting in my room is even an Air Ministry fitting with a period ceramic ceiling rose and repro period cable, I really must get out more. ::)

I agree Geof, this allows you to display a broader amount of flying clothing and equipment, and also allows us to collect more....

Offline Air Ministry

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2016, 05:27:51 AM »
Further to the unusual C type helmet/D mask combination, here is another rare set up.
This first pattern C type helmet has been fired with modifiers for the MK IV series of goggles, prior to owning this, i had only ever seen second pattern C type helmets which had been fitted with modifiers and consequently this is a pretty rare helmet. I have since discovered one or two others who have this version but this is the only one i have ever had the chance to buy.

The helmet is shown with MK IVb goggles and an E type oxygen mask.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I don`t care to belong to the sort of club that accepts people like me as members.

Offline nimsiemilitaria

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:23 AM »
Love that helmet ;Dand a nice E mask to boot :o

Offline Air Ministry

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:48 AM »
Rather belatedly, here is a photo of my navigator where i have tried to create the atmosphere of operating in the dark, rather unsuccessfully.

I don`t care to belong to the sort of club that accepts people like me as members.

Offline nimsiemilitaria

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2016, 09:38:18 AM »
dont go into the light :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:40:15 AM by nimsiemilitaria »

Offline David

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:03 PM »
Love that helmet ;Dand a nice E mask to boot :o

Have to agree. Very, very nice AM 8)

...and I reckon the Navigator at night is a great touch. Too hard on yourself ;)
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

Offline Air Ministry

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2016, 11:41:27 PM »
To continue the subject of the cross over period, here is a photo of an unusual set up, it is a first pattern C type helmet which is being worn with a D type oxygen mask. The oxygen mask has has two studs fitted externally to match the studs on the helmet, this is extremely rare and i have only ever seen one other like this. The mask is complete with a type 21 microphone and the later uncovered oxygen hose. The set up is completed by a pair of MK IIIa goggles.

The mask was in a very bad condition and has been repaired, it came with a second pattern C type helmet which was fitted with modifiers for the MK IV series of goggles (this set up can be seen in Mick Prodgers flying helmet book). The helmet and mask came with history to an Australian pilot.
I sold the helmet because it was a complete basket case with the modifiers being the only salvageable parts.
Sorry for the usual shocking photography.

Offline David

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2016, 12:13:56 AM »
Very nice AM!  :)
I ordered Mick Prodger's 'Vintage Flying Helmets' book last week. I should have bought it years ago ::)
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

photo bannerfans_11430117_zps8b63cb2d.gif