BannerFans.com

Author Topic: 13th Bomb Squadron 1956-58 Night Intruder "The Devils Own Grim Reapers"  (Read 630 times)

Offline Phill Lockett

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Hi all

Whilst I don't collect USAF squadron patches , this one took my fancy.

This is Japanese made and features the Grim Reapers squadron patch and an additional B-57 Canberra patch black and red markings.

Quite rare to get both I would imagine.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:25:25 PM by Phill Lockett »
Regards

Phill

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
Re: 13th Bomb Squadron 1956-58 Night Intruder "The Devils Own Grim Reapers"
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
Very cool !

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
Re: 13th Bomb Squadron 1956-58 Night Intruder "The Devils Own Grim Reapers"
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 12:44:17 AM »
Me likey !! I do like the early USAF and Navy patches
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Patchcollector

Great pieces Phill.If possible,could you please post an image of the backs of the patches?

Offline Phill Lockett

• PLANKOWNER
My Apologies PC

I have been concentrating on updating my database (Recollector), which has taken me 4 months!!

Anyway here is the reverse.

Phill
Regards

Phill

Offline Patchcollector

Thanks a lot Phill.I appreciate you taking the time to post the back images.Those are great patches.The Canberra is one of my favorite Vietnam War era Warbirds.I have something that I hope you,or some of the other members,can help me out with.
I recently picked up a 13th patch,and now that I have it in hand I'm a bit uncertain about it.
It's a small piece,approximately 2 and 3/4 inches tall.(Maybe for a hat?)
The front embroidery looks OK,with the text style and design looking proper for the era.
It's the back that has me wondering.I've seen the "netted" backing before so that doesn't concern me,but there is a substance that was applied to the back,behind the "netting" that can be seen.It's very difficult to discern when the patch is stationary,but when I move the patch back and forth under the light I can see,for lack of a better description,a "sparkly" effect.
I've seen this on a few pieces before,and have always wondered if it was a spray of some sort that was applied as a type of stiffener(because the patch is stiff),or a backing that was briefly used before the full plastic "heat seal" type of backing became popular,OR an indication of a modern reproduction.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:56:55 PM by Patchcollector »

Offline Phill Lockett

• PLANKOWNER
Hi PC

I picked the 13th down here in Auckland NZ and i just liked the Japanese embroidery from the era and it came with the Canberra, so to me, its quite rare that you would get both pieces together and with the markings on the Canberra. You could not get a better dated patch!

I've done a little bit of research and there are so many variations from post WWII on the 13th , so my question to you is what era do you believe your 13th Bomb Sqd is? The reason I ask is there are late WWII to occupation period US made that I swear look like 50's or 60's with cheese cloth/open weave backing but I don't know as its not my area.

That sparkly effect  could be sizing a manufacturing process they tested just after WWII to make patches more rigid.

See exceprt below from Chris Brown US patches of WWII.

Anyway I do like the one you have posted, just need to confirm the era.

Phill
Regards

Phill

Offline Patchcollector

Thanks much Phill for posting that interesting info on "sizing".When I read the part about how it was described as looking "like tiny bits of glass glittering" I knew that was what I had,as that description fits 100%.
I bought the patch thinking it was Vietnam War era,but now,after reading your info my confidence in this patch is not very high.
The part of your article that states that it is also "found on many high quality reproductions which otherwise looks authentic" is also a 100% fit as the front looks great(high quality),but the backing,and stiffness of the patch is suspicious to me.
I'm wondering if this isn't a postwar reunion type piece that was made to be worn on a ballcap?
I think that,unfortunately,I'm going to have to return this one and keep looking for a nice VN Wartime made example to add to my collection.
Thanks again for all the help.

Offline Phill Lockett

• PLANKOWNER
Hi PC

Not necessarily a reproduction.

I could also take it for a legit post WWII era patch.

Remember the squadron has been in service for quite sometime(not to sure of the exact details-not my area)  and based in many locations.

There are theatre made patches and also US made patches that existed.

I think more research needs to be done before confirming reproduction.

I have put mine on USMF and I know Randy is the most knowledgeable of USAAF sqd patches.

As you know Vietnam era can open up a varied amount of legit theatre made from where ever the sqd was posted including TDY and based in Thailand and not in Vietnam  as an example.

Keep us upto date if you find out more info.

Phill
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:12:06 AM by Phill Lockett »
Regards

Phill

Offline Patchcollector

Hi Phill,
Yes it true what you state about the unit being around for quite awhile so there are no doubt many variations out there.I'm judging mine on the basis that it is supposedly VN War era because judging by the embroidery work and text style that is what I believe whoever made it was trying to mimic the look  of.
The info that you posted earlier states that that type backing is also "found on many high quality reproductions which otherwise looks authentic".
Does your info also state any specific units of patches that were high quality reproductions because I would like to know which units and what eras the high quality repros were made to represent.
As you suggested I'm going to post it on another Forum and see if any other info comes to light.Thanks for all your help.

Offline Patchcollector

After careful consideration I returned this patch to the buyer for a refund.I'm not one to hastily return items.I posted it on two Forums and examined it closely in hand before making my decision.
What bothered me was that,IMO, the front stitching style(text and overall design) most closely reminds me of Vietnamese theatre made but the back does'nt look like any incountry made pieces I've seen.
I can't help but think that this is a postwar made patch that someone had made for Vets or a reunion.That would explain the front made to look like an original VN War era piece,but having the different backing.Also.the small size suggests that it may have been made to wear on a hat.

Offline Phill Lockett

• PLANKOWNER
Hi PC

Thanks for updating.

After reading this you are correct in your assumption. Interesting though the size is smaller than the typical "patch"size, one would expect , which would tend to suggest a post war reunion cap badge.

Thanks for letting the forum know.

Phill

Regards

Phill

BannerFans.com