BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Berlin Wall  (Read 840 times)

Offline lewis505

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "Aterrice y Ataque!"
  • Referrals: 0
      • 82d Airborne Division Museum - Fort Bragg, NC
Berlin Wall
« on: February 04, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »
This monument is located just outside Lewis & Clark Hall at the Combined General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, where I'm currently going to the Pre-Command Course (you know, 5 months after going into position as a Command Sergeant Major LOL!) - thought Smitty would appreciate this as well

A reminder of things to come perhaps?

Cheers lads

Chris

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
CHRIS LEWIS
Fort Benning, GA.
lewis2505@yahoo.com

*always looking for items related to:
82d ABN DIV (any era) // 505th PIR // 551st PIB
50th Infantry Regiment // 36th Infantry Regiment

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Berlin Wall
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »
I was in Berlin in 2016...did the wall tour. Fascinating to see where it was...and the stretches of it that are preserved...often covered in street-art. Stopped at "Checkpoint Charlie" too...very touristy now!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:33:07 PM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
Very nice pictures guys.. Many thanks for the memories..

Ian,, The Checkpoint Charlie that you were at was a replica of the original guardhouse. A larger more modern guardhouse was constructed to house the British, French and American Military Police. When the Wall came down and the Allies departed, the Guardhouse was actually removed from it's foundation and relocated to Truman Plaza which is the site of the Allied Museum.

I am not 100% sure if the smaller checkpoint was put into the Checkpoint Charlie Museum or not.. I can't recall..

There is another Checkpoint Charlie Museum at the actual crossing at Friedrichstraße.. This museum had some great exhibits, gliders used to fly over the wall, cars that transported people in the engine compartments, boats, etc.. A great secondary museum..

Thanks again for the great pics..

Smitty

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
Very nice pictures guys.. Many thanks for the memories..

Ian,, The Checkpoint Charlie that you were at was a replica of the original guardhouse. A larger more modern guardhouse was constructed to house the British, French and American Military Police. When the Wall came down and the Allies departed, the Guardhouse was actually removed from it's foundation and relocated to Truman Plaza which is the site of the Allied Museum.

I am not 100% sure if the smaller checkpoint was put into the Checkpoint Charlie Museum or not.. I can't recall..

There is another Checkpoint Charlie Museum at the actual crossing at Friedrichstraße.. This museum had some great exhibits, gliders used to fly over the wall, cars that transported people in the engine compartments, boats, etc.. A great secondary museum..

Thanks again for the great pics..

Smitty

Hi Smitty. Yes...I daresay that the current "checkpoint" hut is purely there for the benefit of tourists. There were two guys dressed in a mix of US Army items ( pretty inaccurate combinations!) who were charging tourists €5 to pose alongside them for photo opportunities. To the average tourist they were "GIs"...personally I wouldn't have paid them 5 cents!!   :o
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com