BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Info on a Service Cap please.  (Read 591 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Info on a Service Cap please.
« on: January 24, 2017, 08:34:57 PM »
   Believe it or not, I am still sorting items from last years museum cleanout where our museum received many great and not so great items. One of those items is this British cap. It appears to be WWII era, but is there any way to really nail it down? Hopefully one of you will be able to tell from the pictures. Thanks for any help you can give on the era, branch ( I am assuming army) and anything else!   Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Info on a Service Cap please.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:02:18 PM »
Whilst I'm not a collector of British items, I think that's an Army officers' service cap of the WW2 period. The similar WW1 pattern "other ranks" cap had a thin leather chinstrap with a sliding brass buckle. Such caps would normally feature buttons with the regimental crest.  Peaked caps for men (visor hats) soon gave way to the ubiquitous "forage cap" ( rather like the US overseas cap) and /or the General Service cap (khaki beret)  Like in the US Army, officers' items were privately acquired and of a superior quality to issued men's items, and usually bore a tailor's retail label. That cap appears to be of such quality, given its lining. What does the label say?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:14:23 PM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Jerry BB

• Referrals: 0
Re: Info on a Service Cap please.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:00:05 AM »
I can think of no UK armed forces units that wore pebbled buttons.  Some civilian organisations wore such caps as did chauffeurs and also UK makers made caps for sale around the world, so even if British made it might be foreign.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

BannerFans.com